Transferring to USYD from ACU. Worth? (BCom) (1 Viewer)

Nsj_1

HSC
Is it worth it to transfer to USYD?

I'm currently at ACU, undertaking a Bachelor of Commerce with a double major in Accounting and Marketing. If I do transfer to USYD, possibly only recieve 3 out of my 8 credit points.

My question is it worth it to attend a "prestigious" university? Having to re-do units, resulting in more HEC and prolong my studies for another year.

enoilgam

HSC

I'm currently at ACU, undertaking a Bachelor of Commerce with a double major in Accounting and Marketing. If I do transfer to USYD, possibly only recieve 3 out of my 8 credit points.

My question is it worth it to attend a "prestigious" university? Having to re-do units, resulting in more HEC and prolong my studies for another year.
If USyd offers like a major or course component which ACU doesnt, then Id consider it. Otherwise, dont waste those 5 credit points - the prestige wont count for jack.

unforlornedhope

HSC
N/A
It really depends on what you want. If you want to aim high, then by all means transfer to USYD. I know the ATAR cut off doesn't matter, but think about it, the cut off in ACU commerce is 58.50, it's even LOWER than UWS. Whereas the cut off for USYD is 95. It is a HUGE difference in the cohort and calibre of the students. If you just want to work in entry level jobs and jobs which don't have high expectations, then by all means stay at ACU. If you are aiming higher than that, then transfer to USYD. Although they say that employers don't care, but in some top organisations, the "old boys" and "prestige" still matter. And if you observe most university networking events, it's heavily targeted towards USYD and UNSW students, with maybe some for UTS and MACQ. And barely any for other uni's. I know some people in this forum might rebut me, but when you look at the reality of life, actions speaks louder than words.

J18134

HSC
It really depends on what you want. If you want to aim high, then by all means transfer to USYD. I know the ATAR cut off doesn't matter, but think about it, the cut off in ACU commerce is 58.50, it's even LOWER than UWS. Whereas the cut off for USYD is 95. It is a HUGE difference in the cohort and calibre of the students. If you just want to work in entry level jobs and jobs which don't have high expectations, then by all means stay at ACU. If you are aiming higher than that, then transfer to USYD. Although they say that employers don't care, but in some top organisations, the "old boys" and "prestige" still matter. And if you observe most university networking events, it's heavily targeted towards USYD and UNSW students, with maybe some for UTS and MACQ. And barely any for other uni's. I know some people in this forum might rebut me, but when you look at the reality of life, actions speaks louder than words.
Thats a completely stupid comment. The ATAR requirement doesnt at all reflect the calibre of the student. The ATAR requirement surely shows how in demand the course is.

sida1049

HSC
Thats a completely stupid comment. The ATAR requirement doesnt at all reflect the calibre of the student. The ATAR requirement surely shows how in demand the course is.
"... completely stupid comment"?

Let's think about this.

Assumption: more successfully performing students tend to achieve higher ATARs. Conversely, lesser performing students tend to achieve lower ATARs.

From that assumption alone (which I think is quite reasonable), we can deduce that courses with greater ATAR cutoffs have a greater proportion of academically-inclined students.

Conclusion: the ATAR requirement of courses do reflect the general calibre of students.

You realise that what you're saying completely undermines the whole point of the ATAR system, right? If ATARs don't reflect, to some degree, the calibre of students, then it wouldn't be appropriate as a medium to facilitate supply and demand. If a course requires an ATAR cutoff of 90+ to enter, and we assume that admission adheres to the cutoff (with exception to alternative admission schemes), then the cohort of that course do obviously have a proportionally higher calibre than students within a course which has an ATAR cutoff of 50. Like you said, the ATAR requirement shows the demand for the course, and what's the point of supply and demand if they can't differentiate the calibre of students?

sida1049

HSC
With relevance to the original question, I do think it's worth transferring to USYD, purely for the well-established connections to the industry. But if you think it's too much of an inconvenience to do so (higher fees, lengthier university life, transport, et cetera), then don't. It's simply the matter that Commerce is a very popular and thus very competitive degree (supply and demand again), hence standing out does matter.

'Prestige' is irrelevant for the most part, though.

unforlornedhope

HSC
N/A
Well, I guess you're lying to others and yourself. A lot of grad positions in top companies requires your uni GPA and ATAR. Why would they hire a 50 ATAR and credit average student at ACU, as opposed to a 99 ATAR and high distinction average student at USYD/UNSW.

unforlornedhope

HSC
N/A
"... completely stupid comment"?

Let's think about this.

Assumption: more successfully performing students tend to achieve higher ATARs. Conversely, lesser performing students tend to achieve lower ATARs.

From that assumption alone (which I think is quite reasonable), we can deduce that courses with greater ATAR cutoffs have a greater proportion of academically-inclined students.

Conclusion: the ATAR requirement of courses do reflect the general calibre of students.

You realise that what you're saying completely undermines the whole point of the ATAR system, right? If ATARs don't reflect, to some degree, the calibre of students, then it wouldn't be appropriate as a medium to facilitate supply and demand. If a course requires an ATAR cutoff of 90+ to enter, and we assume that admission adheres to the cutoff (with exception to alternative admission schemes), then the cohort of that course do obviously have a proportionally higher calibre than students within a course which has an ATAR cutoff of 50. Like you said, the ATAR requirement shows the demand for the course, and what's the point of supply and demand if they can't differentiate the calibre of students?
Exactly!

zorbino

HSC

did you end up getting in to Bcomm usyd?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)