Agricultural Economics (1 Viewer)

jpk

HI
i was wondering if any1 knows if finding a job is hard as an agricutlural economist. Also is this course hard?

jpk

thx for the info
but wat exactly do agricultural economist do??
do they work for farms and do physical work? OR can they work for banks and other corporations.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
I guess so.. LOL. I'm really not sure mate, sorry. I think government departments employ them - like the dept. of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry, and the NSW Farmers Federation. It's pretty much was Economists do, only it's applied to Agriculture/Commodities.

jpk

hey melbournian
do u know anythin about the pay agri ecos get?

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Yeah, I know the Farmers Federation isn't a Government departmnent, but alot of Ag economists end up there, it was an example of an employer.

duck.fluff

Usyd BVSc II
HSC
I'm looking at AgEc as my likely alternative to Vet Science (not confident about the marks), but because I already have a strong interest in Agriculture, and unlike most other BAgEc kids, have no interest in Economics.

The pay apparently is fantastic, as is the employment prospects. It's an applied degree and many employers prefer an ag eco graduate to ordinary eco.
Average starting pay was 45-55k I think? Trying to think back to uni seminars at school.
Ofcourse the job of seminars and pamphlets is to talk up the degree, so I suppose you'd have to find some people who've finished it.

I'm hoping to enter ag product marketing. I wouldn't reccomend it to anyone with no interest in agriculture though. It IS Ag economics.

Roga

HSC
What's the popularity of this course like?

Roga

HSC
Oh, that's good to hear. I applied for it.

Raven3333

Jerk
HSC
I do this and i can tell you its an absoloute bitch of a course in terms of maths. There is alot of hardcore maths in it, on the upside the degree is quite flexible in terms of electives. Contact time is about 12-15h per week.

My advice is unless you are prepared to do alot of maths don't do it.

sjay91

HSC
Can you move into mainstream eco at any time during the degree?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)