Talented Students Program and Special Studies Program (1 Viewer)

sida1049

HSC
Hey guys. I received an invitation to the Sydney Science Luncheon, which is a meeting regarding USYD's Talented Students Program.

I plan on enrolling into B Science (Advanced Mathematics)/B Arts (majoring in economics and mathematics or statistics), and from the information available online, the benefits of undertaking the TSP for mathematics include:

- An academic mentor

- Access to unique mathematics topics

- Research-based projects (?)

- Invitation to SSP units (which more or less relates to point #2)

- Access to certain second year mathematics units

... so basically, the main benefit is that it appeals to my interests. If anyone can expand on the "extra-credit" aspect of doing TSP/SSP, that would be really great.

The main drawback I understand is that it takes up more time (potentially away from my other units) and difficulty, which may both impact upon my WAM and whatnot.

My question is essentially this: is the TSP worth doing? What are the major benefits to taking it? If anyone have experiences with the TSP, I'd love to hear them.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
UNSW is the best

always choose unsw for all your university needs

source: arts/adv maffs student

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
UNSW is the best

always choose unsw for all your university needs

source: arts/adv maffs student
You really shouldn't let your bias affect your advice to somebody about their future, that seems kinda unethical tbh.

Not just this, but I always see UNSW people spamming "UNSW is the best, go there". You are helping some one decide their future, don't be a dick.

To anyone reading, UNSW is better for stats and applied maths, USYD is better for pure maths and arts.

Also TSP is 100% worth it OP, do it.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
You can't exactly quantify which is better (rankings don't mean that much for undergraduate). But the way they are usually compared is:

USYD is more focused on research, UNSW is more focused on industry (can look at rankings for this, USYD ranks slightly higher for research, UNSW ranks slightly higher in employment rates after graduation).

Pure maths is researched based which leads to USYD > UNSW for pure maths.

Applied maths and stats is more focused on industry and using your skills to get a job which leads to UNSW > USYD for applied maths and stats.

I do maths not arts so I don't know as much about arts, but I think it's the general consensus that if you want to do arts, go USYD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)