Applied/Pure Mathematics majors? (1 Viewer)

sida1049

HSC
Does USYD differentiate between Applied and Pure Mathematics majors? I initially thought it was all just under the Mathematics major, but the Mathematics and Statistics handbooks seem to make the distinction (e.g. "... all students wishing to major in Applied Mathematics...").

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
It's unofficial; there are applied subjects and pure subjects but there's only the one mathematics major. You can have any combination of applied and pure as you wish.

The difference comes when you get to Honours, which is divided into Applied, Pure and Statistics streams. I think the reason they talk about applied and pure "majors" is that they really just want to recommend the subjects you do if you want to get into a particular Honours stream.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
It's unofficial; there are applied subjects and pure subjects but there's only the one mathematics major. You can have any combination of applied and pure as you wish.

The difference comes when you get to Honours, which is divided into Applied, Pure and Statistics streams. I think the reason they talk about applied and pure "majors" is that they really just want to recommend the subjects you do if you want to get into a particular Honours stream.
This is right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)