WWANG

HSC
N/A
looking for a pure sensior maths unit

Which one is better?

camelrider

HSC
N/A
MATH3061 in terms of content, MATH3068 for lecturer (Hauer).

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Do MATH3068 Analysis. This will be far more valuable for you as a mathematics student and for any future potential studies in the field.

The other course (geometry and topology) is a bit of a joke. Often the students entering this course don't have essential knowledge of set theory, let alone tackling topology. So for that reason the course is heavily watered down and it is the university equivalent of the HSC Physics course attempting to teach students Physics without the proper mathematical tools.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
I've done MATH3061 and personally I found it interesting, but I agree with Carrot that the course is a bit watered down for the topology section. Depends if that's what you are after though. Paunescu (the geometry lecturer) is not that great, but if you go through the tutorial questions you should be fine.

I didn't do MATH3068 because I did MATH2962, but analysis would certainly be a good subject to take. I found it pretty interesting and relevant, plus I'd imagine the normal stream is a bit easier than MATH2962.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)