MATH1111 Eligibility Question (1 Viewer)

cormacshaw

HSC
N/A
So quick Q, I'm coming to USYD this year (BA/BSc) from two years into a Bachelors of Forensic Biol at UTS (but because so few units are RPL'd for me I'm basically doing the entirety of the degree). I've never done HSC, and I seem to meet all the criteria for the unit, so I'm curious if I need to get approval into MATH1111 or can I just enrol in Sydney Student? Whenever I look up info re enrolment they seem to imply being approved for it, alluding to there being a process to get in, even though SydStudent just lets me enrol no questions asked.

Anyone who's done MATH1111 care to help me out?

Cheers!

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
When seeking advice make sure you provide relevant info. Like, if you didn't do the HSC, what course have you previously done to have got into UTS in the 1st place? Was it an interstate education like VCE or overseas school qualification. Did you any maths and if so up to what level? Did you do ok in it? etc etc

cormacshaw

HSC
N/A
When seeking advice make sure you provide relevant info. Like, if you didn't do the HSC, what course have you previously done to have got into UTS in the 1st place? Was it an interstate education like VCE or overseas school qualification. Did you any maths and if so up to what level? Did you do ok in it? etc etc
My apologies, perhaps I should have been clearer. No high school qualifications period. Entered directly via prior uni study (same with UTS + entrance examination test). I'd go into detail but I'd probably be here for weeks explaining it and it would be mostly irrelevant.

As for maths, nothing formally beyond Year 10 and some personal interest study beyond that (I was in the upper math class, had a strong aptitude in it and truly enjoyed it). While I've done some calculus in my personal time, I would say I'm certainly not at a HSC 2U level of proficiency with it never having studied it formally.

Last edited:

sida1049

HSC
Try directly enrolling into MATH1111 via Sydney Student. If they need further department approval, they'll ask for it after you've completed your enrollment via Sydney Student.

Getting department approval should be fairly easy: after you've completed enrolling into all of your units, there's another page on Sydney Student that allows you to apply for department approval for the units you have attempted to enrol into which requires it. MATH1111 is for those who have not studied HSC mathematics or higher, so I'm sure the process will be fairly straightforward for you.

Good luck.

cormacshaw

HSC
N/A
Thanks sida, have enrolled in Sydney Student and haven't been hit up with anything so just going to go with it -- was more curious if it'd come back and bite me down the track if I didn't seek the approval in advance. Just going to roll with it and see where it goes. :)

sida1049

HSC
Thanks sida, have enrolled in Sydney Student and haven't been hit up with anything so just going to go with it -- was more curious if it'd come back and bite me down the track if I didn't seek the approval in advance. Just going to roll with it and see where it goes. :)
If you enrolled and it didn't say "this unit requires department approval" or something like that, then you're good to go!

Let's say you wanted to do MATH1901, which requires department approval. If you go into Sydney Student, and go into 'Units of Study' under the 'My Studies' tab, you'd see a list of units of study you've enrolled into. But for MATH1901, in the 'Names' column, it would say 'Differential Calculus (Advanced) - requires department approval'. If your MATH1111 doesn't have the ' - requires department approval' next to it, then you've already successfully enrolled into the course, and ready to attend once the semester starts.

If you're really worried, you can email the unit coordinator or the mathematics faculty just to make sure, but I'm very sure it won't come back and bite you in the future!

cormacshaw

HSC
N/A
If you enrolled and it didn't say "this unit requires department approval" or something like that, then you're good to go!

Let's say you wanted to do MATH1901, which requires department approval. If you go into Sydney Student, and go into 'Units of Study' under the 'My Studies' tab, you'd see a list of units of study you've enrolled into. But for MATH1901, in the 'Names' column, it would say 'Differential Calculus (Advanced) - requires department approval'. If your MATH1111 doesn't have the ' - requires department approval' next to it, then you've already successfully enrolled into the course, and ready to attend once the semester starts.

If you're really worried, you can email the unit coordinator or the mathematics faculty just to make sure, but I'm very sure it won't come back and bite you in the future!
Thanks for that, makes sense! :) Looking forward to starting at USYD, was always my childhood dream uni, so really excited to start, even if it means another ~4 years in uni. :p

sida1049

HSC
Thanks for that, makes sense! :) Looking forward to starting at USYD, was always my childhood dream uni, so really excited to start, even if it means another ~4 years in uni. :p
Best of luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)