Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Changes to maths units in 2018

  1. #1
    Senior Member sida1049's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    600
    Rep Power
    4

    Changes to maths units in 2018

    This is kind of a long shot, but...

    Would anyone here have any information on the changes to USYD's maths units from 2018? I've heard about this since late last year, and today someone mentioned that the economics honours coordinator is at a loss as to which maths courses to encourage for economics students. Apparently it will be a major change.

    I was talking to one of the professors late last year, and the only thing he brought up was that MATH2962 Real and Complex Analysis may be moved to semester 2, but I'm not sure how certain he is on that. He also mentioned some courses will phase out, while others will be introduced, for example, MATH2961 Vector Calculus and Linear Algebra may be replaced by two separate courses on the respective topics. (The economics honours coordinator have suggested that they may push real/complex analysis into a senior unit, but this is second-hand information, so not sure if that's reliable.)

    I'm hoping they don't phase out some of the units I'm planning to take.

    Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)/Bachelor of Arts III, USYD

  2. #2
    Perpetual Student Amleops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    HSC
    2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    816
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Changes to maths units in 2018

    Hmmm, first I've heard of this.

    Makes sense to move MATH2962 to second semester, in terms of introductions to advanced pure mathematics it was certainly a bit of a baptism of fire for me. Perhaps they're looking at replacing it with another pure mathematics subject that introduces everyone in a bit better.

    It would also be a good idea to split up MATH2961, seeing as they cover pretty important topics it would be nice to go into them in a bit more detail. It may make things a bit more complicated for physics majors though.

  3. #3
    Senior Member sida1049's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    600
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Changes to maths units in 2018

    Alright, so a lecturer gave me more information about how the maths units will change in 2018.

    Only the first and second-year units will change. The third-year units will remain as they are.

    The lecturer mentioned that the first-year units mostly involves a change of order, or something. The content won't really be changed.

    As for the second-year units,

    - MATH2061/MATH2961 Linear Algebra and Vector Calculus will be scrapped, and replaced by another unit focusing on vector calculus and differential equations.

    - MATH2962 Real and Complex Analysis will begin to run in semester 2. (There is a chance that it may still run in semester 1 next year, but it will definite run in semester 2.)

    - The rest of the second-year units will also be modified, and I'm assuming abstract linear algebra will appear in another course.

    Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)/Bachelor of Arts III, USYD

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    174
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Changes to maths units in 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by sida1049 View Post
    Alright, so a lecturer gave me more information about how the maths units will change in 2018.

    Only the first and second-year units will change. The third-year units will remain as they are.

    The lecturer mentioned that the first-year units mostly involves a change of order, or something. The content won't really be changed.

    As for the second-year units,

    - MATH2061/MATH2961 Linear Algebra and Vector Calculus will be scrapped, and replaced by another unit focusing on vector calculus and differential equations.

    - MATH2962 Real and Complex Analysis will begin to run in semester 2. (There is a chance that it may still run in semester 1 next year, but it will definite run in semester 2.)

    - The rest of the second-year units will also be modified, and I'm assuming abstract linear algebra will appear in another course.
    Would you know about any changes to these topics:

    -MATH2970
    -STAT2911
    -STAT2912

    I might take them next year XD
    Baulkham Hills '16

    English Advanced | Mathematics Extension 1 | Mathematics Extension 2 | Physics | Chemistry

    ATAR: 99.95

  5. #5
    Senior Member sida1049's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    600
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Changes to maths units in 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by andrew12678 View Post
    Would you know about any changes to these topics:

    -MATH2970
    -STAT2911
    -STAT2912

    I might take them next year XD
    I have no idea lol, but I'd be surprised if they were changed significantly.

    The lecturer of STAT2911 did mention that they were considering scrapping the STAT2911 course, but I hope not.

    Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)/Bachelor of Arts III, USYD

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    174
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Changes to maths units in 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by sida1049 View Post
    I have no idea lol, but I'd be surprised if they were changed significantly.

    The lecturer of STAT2911 did mention that they were considering scrapping the STAT2911 course, but I hope not.
    Is that course good? I feel like all these stats course will be WAM killers for me haha. But hey, Practicially/usefulness > Doing cruising in something easy
    Baulkham Hills '16

    English Advanced | Mathematics Extension 1 | Mathematics Extension 2 | Physics | Chemistry

    ATAR: 99.95

  7. #7
    Senior Member sida1049's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    600
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Changes to maths units in 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by andrew12678 View Post
    Is that course good? I feel like all these stats course will be WAM killers for me haha. But hey, Practicially/usefulness > Doing cruising in something easy
    It's actually a really mathematically rigorous and mind-blowing course if you persist! And I definitely felt like my understanding of probability and statistics improved a ton from the course.

    But it's a notoriously difficult course in general, and honestly I felt like I spend like at least 40% of my effort during the semester on that one course. I don't regret it though, but a lot of students probably took a hit to the WAM from it.

    10/10 would recommend if: 1. you really like maths, 2. you really like probability, and 3. you're willing to put in the effort.

    Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)/Bachelor of Arts III, USYD

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    174
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Changes to maths units in 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by sida1049 View Post
    It's actually a really mathematically rigorous and mind-blowing course if you persist! And I definitely felt like my understanding of probability and statistics improved a ton from the course.

    But it's a notoriously difficult course in general, and honestly I felt like I spend like at least 40% of my effort during the semester on that one course. I don't regret it though, but a lot of students probably took a hit to the WAM from it.

    10/10 would recommend if: 1. you really like maths, 2. you really like probability, and 3. you're willing to put in the effort.
    Fk!, What about yourself haha? You go decently?
    Baulkham Hills '16

    English Advanced | Mathematics Extension 1 | Mathematics Extension 2 | Physics | Chemistry

    ATAR: 99.95

  9. #9
    Senior Member sida1049's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    600
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Changes to maths units in 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by andrew12678 View Post
    Fk!, What about yourself haha? You go decently?
    I did alright, surprisingly enough haha. I'm sure a decent student such as yourself will do well in it as well

    Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)/Bachelor of Arts III, USYD

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    174
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Changes to maths units in 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by sida1049 View Post
    I did alright, surprisingly enough haha. I'm sure a decent student such as yourself will do well in it as well
    Hahaha decent is probably too generous a term to describe my work ethic at uni
    Baulkham Hills '16

    English Advanced | Mathematics Extension 1 | Mathematics Extension 2 | Physics | Chemistry

    ATAR: 99.95

  11. #11
    Senior Member sida1049's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    600
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Changes to maths units in 2018

    Changes I'm aware of so far:

    Introducing MATH1064 Discrete Mathematics for Computation

    MATH1X01 Differential Calculus and MATH1X03 Integral Calculus have been replaced by the following units:
    - MATH1X21 Calculus of One Variable (semester 1) [MATH1931 is the SSP equivalent]
    - MATH1X23 Multivariable Calculus and Modelling (semester 2) [MATH1933 is the SSP equivalent]

    MATH1904 Discrete Mathematics (Advanced) is finally making a return! Semester 2, as expected.

    MATH2X61 Linear Algebra and Vector Calculus, MATH2X65 Intro to Partial Differential Equations and MATH2968 Algebra (Advanced) have been replaced by the following units:
    - MATH2X21 Vector Calculus and Differential Equations (semester 1)
    - MATH2X22 Linear and Abstract Algebra (semester 1)

    MATH2962 Real and Complex Analysis has been replaced by MATH2X23 Analysis, which runs in semester 2 and can now be taken as a mainstream unit.

    Some of the statistics units have received slight name-changes, but the unit codes (and content) are apparently unchanged.

    NOTE: MATH1X01, MATH1X03, MATH2061, MATH2968 will still run in 2018, despite becoming replaced by the newer units.
    Last edited by sida1049; 6 Nov 2017 at 3:32 PM.

    Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)/Bachelor of Arts III, USYD

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •