Thread: Transfer to mathematics/physics or do it online?

HSC

Transfer to mathematics/physics or do it online?

Hi friends
    MIT has uploaded all their mathematics lectures notes exams etc online . Should I just buy the ebooks and do a self study maths course or should I enrol in a legit maths degree?

Currently I'm studying commerce in second year and maths/Phys interests me. However making money interests me too. I think the probability of me doing well off is much higher if I do commerce (personally )

What do
    Learning maths the way MIT students do seems awesome af
    Last edited by Patterns3; 4 Sep 2017 at 11:10 PM.

HSC

Re: Transfer to mathematics/physics or do it online?

It's really up to you, but I'd recommend transferring into maths. It's one thing to say "oh yep, I get that" after seeing a proof or a theorem, but to really understand something in maths requires a lot more work. Self-studying commerce subjects is significantly easier than self-studying mathematics, and plus if you're into maths, you'll really enjoy a proper maths degree.

And don't worry too much about "making money". A maths major doesn't kill your career options, but obviously the kind of jobs you'll be gearing towards will diverge from your typically commerce-based positions (though quite a few of my friends who are studying maths are gearing towards quantitative commerce, e.g. trading and whatnot).

But in the end, it's really up to you.

Good luck.

Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)/Bachelor of Arts II, USYD

Thread Information