Computer Science degrees (1 Viewer)

the_matrix

HSC
Hello all,

1. I was just wondering, what's the difference between the Bachelor of Computer Science & Technology (BCST) and the Bachelor of Science majoring in Computer Science? (besides the 'technology' part in the name)

2. And just out of curiosity, why is UNSW's Bachelor of Commerce & Bachelor of Science (Comp Sci) dual degree 4 years in duration whilst USYD's equivalent is 5 years?

3. Considering the current Australian economy, would it be better do to do a B Commerce & B Science (Comp Sci) dual degree or just a B Engineering (Software)? Both are 4 years in duration

Thanks!!

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
At UNSW it is 4 years as you only do one major in Commerce (which is really only two years of courses) and for Comp Sci you have roughly 2 years as well I think due to free electives from Commerce overlapping (I'll check out the fine details later).

Computer Science and Software Engineering are quite different fieldsin practice. I would advise you to research the difference betwen them (and for that matter, look into Computer Engineering which is quite different from both too !) and ask yourself which one you prefer. Maybe do that and give us an update of what you prefer?

the_matrix

HSC
I personally like engineering as I am very proficient with designing things and in-depth analysis + I get A's all the time for Engineerig Studies & IST. However, it's the maths part that I lack :L I haven't done 3U maths yet (staring next year) but I get ~70% for Maths 5.3 and my friends say I'll struggle in 3U..

From what I gather, Software Engineering is the more 'advanced' version of Computer Science with SDLC stuff (and extras) embedded into it (for Uni courses). And career wise, graduates from both courses tend to end up with the same job.

So basically, I like coding but I don't want to do it all day all week. I want to be part of planning and designing! But from what I gather, jobs like that are very competitive (and rare) and require senior experience. So would a Comp Sci degree suffice?

Last edited:

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
I personally like engineering as I am very proficient with designing things and in-depth analysis + I get A's all the time for Engineerig Studies & IST. However, it's the maths part that I lack :L I haven't done 3U maths yet (staring next year) but I get ~70% for Maths 5.3 and my friends say I'll struggle in 3U..

From what I gather, Software Engineering is the more 'advanced' version of Computer Science with SDLC stuff (and extras) embedded into it (for Uni courses). And career wise, graduates from both courses tend to end up with the same job.

So basically, I like coding but I don't want to do it all day all week. I want to be part of planning and designing! But from what I gather, jobs like that are very competitive (and rare) and require senior experience. So would a Comp Sci degree suffice?
You're most likely going to have to be a grunt for at least a year (unless you luck out/impress) and be the one actually doing the development. If what you want to be doing is designing solutions as opposed to implementation then you'll need that hands on experience before you move up/across.

That being said, Software Engineering is probably more what you want to be doing. If you're passionate there's no reason you can't get the marks.

Since you're only just entering year 11 though, get a leg up and start developing. There's no reason why you can't get a job straight out of school as a dev and do uni at the same time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)