Do I need Extension 1 Maths? (2 Viewers)

ethanevo

HSC
Hi, I am currently in Year 11 and I do the following subjects:
  • Software Design
  • Modern History
  • Economics
  • Advanced English
  • Advanced Maths
  • Extension 1 Maths
  • Business Studies

I am aiming to go to either the University of Sydney or UNSW and was planning to do a combined Software Engineering/ Commerce degree.
I am not the best at extension maths but I think I have the ability to do decent.
Should I keep it or drop it to achieve this course? Some say scaling will help me but i'm quite busy and don't know if I have the commitment required for Extension 1.
Thanks

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Do whatever you want.

Any assumed knowledge from high school courses can be easily self-taught before you begin university.

Mathew587

HSC
From 2018 onwards 2u math will be assumed for most degrees in usyd so be vary of that.
I've asked the same question as well and the consensus was keep it till u think it's best to drop. Keep in mind that in uni you'll do math higher than 3u so if you're dropping because you think it's hard then you might wanna rethink. 3u does end up taking quite a lot of your time, depending on your ability, but your subjects look pretty good so as long as you work hard and don't burn out, you will do well.
Also start tutoring for 3u if you haven't already so that you're not like me and having to put in more effort to learn new topics.
Goodluck

Mathew587

HSC
Do whatever you want.

Any assumed knowledge from high school courses can be easily self-taught before you begin university.
I wouldn't say easily taught and you'll definitely need to do a lot of catching up in uni.

sida1049

HSC
I would recommend to keep Mathematics Extension 1.

In software engineering, you'll be sure to encounter maths in your programming courses, for example, in reading proofs for time complexities of algorithms and whatnot. Without the mathematical maturity, you might stumble over even the shortest proofs that lecturers flash at you in their slides. It's a huge advantage to be able to quickly comprehend notation and understand mathematical arguments.

Also, B. Engineering (Software) requires you to complete the following first year maths units (source):
- MATH1001 Differential Calculus
- MATH1002 Linear Algebra
- MATH1003 Integral Calculus and Modelling
- MATH1005 Statistics

Now according to USYD junior maths enrolment advice, the above are actually geared towards 3U students. MATH1003 and MATH1005 includes 3U content, such as 3U integration techniques, permutation and combinations, binomial probability, et cetera. Thus keeping MX1 would be an obvious advantage in preparing for uni.

Apart from that, depending on what you plan to major in Commerce, maths may come useful at some point.

Edit: Also, just noticed that there is a compulsory second-year maths unit that acts as a pre-requisite to at least one of your computer science units:

- MATH2069 Discrete Mathematics and Graph Theory

Capitalising on your opportunities to improve on maths at the moment (namely doing 3U) would definitely help in not just these maths units, but in your entire degree in general.

Last edited:

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
I don't believe this, especially for Engineering and Mathematics.
I wouldn't say easily taught and you'll definitely need to do a lot of catching up in uni.
It's really not that difficult. There are plenty of books and MOOC's out there to guide you.

And you have over three months between the end of school and the start of uni to teach yourself the material. More than enough time.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
It's really not that difficult. There are plenty of books and MOOC's out there to guide you.

And you have over three months between the end of school and the start of uni to teach yourself the material. More than enough time.
it's more the fact that you need to have the ability to understand concepts in extension 1 math

OP i would highly recommend that you do do extension 1 math if you want to pursue any branch of engineering

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
it's more the fact that you need to have the ability to understand concepts in extension 1 math
Of course. I think the OP's problem was more to do with time management rather than ability though.

Certainly learning Extension Maths at school will mean you don't have to worry about it later down the track, but if the study commitment ends up impacting negatively on his performance overall, he shouldn't feel guilty about dropping it if he wanted to. There are other options.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Of course. I think the OP's problem was more to do with time management rather than ability though.

Certainly learning Extension Maths at school will mean you don't have to worry about it later down the track, but if the study commitment ends up impacting negatively on his performance overall, he shouldn't feel guilty about dropping it if he wanted to. There are other options.
if OP wants to do an engineering related field, s/he should be able to easily manage 1extra unit when it comes to year 11. at the start of year 12 s/he can drop 1 subject and have 11units total which is very manageable for HSC

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I have not read most of the posts above. But @op can consider dropping Modern or Business Studies. But must not drop Maths Ext 1, whether or not the unis say you need it. Without at least Ext 1 you are going to be seriously handicapped when you do Engineering or Software Engg. Do you think you are smart enough to bridge the gap if you drop MX1 by self-study??

Get your priorities right.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
if OP wants to do an engineering related field, s/he should be able to easily manage 1extra unit when it comes to year 11. at the start of year 12 s/he can drop 1 subject and have 11units total which is very manageable for HSC
Perhaps, but we can't make assumptions about the OP's personal circumstances.

I still maintain that self-study is a viable option.

Red_of_Head

HSC
OP make sure you're taking your advice from the people who have actually experienced uni.

Personally, I'd recommend taking X1. If you don't, I'd recommend a bridging course during the summer before uni starts. It's not impossible to go without it, but the X1 stuff they go through for revision they tend to fly through. Off the top of my head, relevant X1 maths for first semester is: curve sketching; trig identities & functions; parametric & implicit differentiation; and the binomial theorem.

ethanevo

HSC
Thanks for all the replies.
I have gathered that in pursuing a combined software/ commerce degree I should keep X1. The problem with me is time and effort. Im alright at maths but not the best and already have a tutor for 3 unit. It will be hard for me to dedicate countless hours to extension as I have a really busy schedule.

Still recommend I keep it and try to work through?

sida1049

HSC
I have gathered that in pursuing a combined software/ commerce degree I should keep X1. The problem with me is time and effort. Im alright at maths but not the best and already have a tutor for 3 unit. It will be hard for me to dedicate countless hours to extension as I have a really busy schedule.

Yep. A bit of consistent effort now will save you a ton of time and stress in the first 1-2 years of uni. Especially since you have compulsory maths units that are not only based off of 3U content, but specifically geared towards HSC 3U graduates. Imagine the stress and loss of time when you finally get up to uni, and realise that you have to enrol into those units. [1]

But if you really feel like that not doing 3U is better for you in the long term, you can always teach yourself the theory and/or take a bridging course. It's up to how you see the costs and benefits of doing HSC 3U.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A

Can you not drop one of your other subjects to make time for you MX1? Of what use or relevance is Modern History to you for your Software Engineering? In my view. a background in Eco is more important than a background in Business Studies. Since you are already doing Eco, you can also have the option of dropping Business Studies.

I'm not saying History is not useful or not interesting. 9 out of 10 people I know have an interest in history of various areas later in life; natural curiosity we all have. But whether or not you have studied it in high school, you can always read up on your own years later, as long as you have some intellect. But that would be a lot harder for Maths or Chemistry or Physics, not saying it is impossible.

Last edited:

ethanevo

HSC
Can you not drop one of your other subjects to make time for you MX1? Of what use or relevance is Modern History to you for your Software Engineering? In my view. a background in Eco is more important than a background in Business Studies. Since you are already doing Eco, you can also have the option of dropping Business Studies.

I'm not saying History is not useful or not interesting. 9 out of 10 people I know have an interest in history of various areas later in life; natural curiosity we all have. But whether or not you have studied it in high school, you can always read up on your own years later, as long as you have some intellect. But that would be a lot harder for Maths or Chemistry or Physics, not saying it is impossible.
The minimum for Year 11 is 12 units. I currently have 13 units with extension maths acting as 1 unit and all other subjects as 2 units. I cant drop any subject besides maths extension until year 12

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
OK. Then I'd encourage you keep your MX1 - for your own sake, unless you do not propose to pursue Software Engg. If you are finding your MX1 takes up too much of your time you may have to see if you are approaching it right. It is not the scaling of MX1 that I particularly care about; it is that you will need it to be able to handle any Engineering course, including Software Engg.

If you like, I'd be happy to spend a couple of hours with you, at no charge, to see if you can learn your MX1 more efficiently . I realise you have a MX1 tutor; it does not matter - I have lots of experience and I don't need his job.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)