Anyone chosing Aviation? (1 Viewer)

James747

HSC
Hi!
I'm planning to take aviation next year, so I'd like some advice from anyone who's already doing the course (if there are any!:mad1:)

How are you finding the course? Is it difficult?
How helpful is this course in contributing to a career in the airline/ aircraft field? Do you go on excursions? (Where to?) Or is everything just theory based?

Thanks heaps for any responses

Cheers

D

daniel213

I am doing the HSC in 2007 and i have chosen aviation as a TVET course. The course is mainly for people wanting to get their PPL or CPL but gives great knowledge for any kind of air transport. The course is a theory course but our teacher arranged a flying day were we flew a Cessna 150C for approximately 30 mins. I was going to post all my notes, but since no one posted i didnt... If you want any help with it id be glad to help just post here.

PS
it is an easy subject if you listen and take notes and turn up to every lesson and study. :) pass mark is 70% i think but its easy, all multiple choice

Good Luck,
Daniel

Last edited by a moderator:

James747

HSC
Whoa! Kool! Someone at BOS does aviation as well! =D
Well, I'm planning to do it next year, and maybe year 12 as well if I like it and I can cope with my other subjects.
I want to be a commercial pilot when I finish school, so I was wondering how helpful it is in terms of gaining the PPL or even the CPL. Is it possible to get the PPL as part of studying the course?

Of course, I would be extremely grateful if you shared your notes, theyd be very handy if I do get in. ;)

Cheers

Wombo

Annoyed
HSC
Hey yea i do the course though Dubbo. The course does all the theory side of the PPL but dosent cover much in the CPL coz of all the extra courses needed to be done to get it (multi-engined cert, instrument rating, etc.). Then after you finish this course(if you do both years) all you need to do is the practical side and you can get ur PPL

Rob

James747

HSC
Well, kool! Thnx for that dude! ;)
I'm doing it next year at Ultimo, hopefully i can manage to do it for two years...

enjee

HSC
Hi. I don't know whether this is relevant to this topic...but I'm doing a TVET course for Aeroskills/Mechanics next year. Engineering is what I really want to do in the future but I wouldn't mind doing aviation either.

James747

HSC
enjee said:
Hi. I don't know whether this is relevant to this topic...but I'm doing a TVET course for Aeroskills/Mechanics next year. Engineering is what I really want to do in the future but I wouldn't mind doing aviation either.
:) Kool...
Where at?
And there's an aeroskills course? I thought there was only avaition as the aviation-related courses for high skool students...

enjee

HSC
Oops. I forgot to get back here.. Anyway, the TVET course I'm doing is only available to the cadets of the AAFC. It's held during the holidays but I'm not very sure where.. because I haven't been given any details yet..

stpjono

HSC
if you read the info for the Ba of Aviation on the UNSW website it tells you that it isnt just theory based and you can obtain up to 240 hours of flying + 60 hours of simulator flying...

i wanna do this but man, im scared of being left in the dark as a graduate because of the low employment opportunities for low-houred commerical licenced pilots.

James747

HSC
stpjono said:
if you read the info for the Ba of Aviation on the UNSW website it tells you that it isnt just theory based and you can obtain up to 240 hours of flying + 60 hours of simulator flying...

i wanna do this but man, im scared of being left in the dark as a graduate because of the low employment opportunities for low-houred commerical licenced pilots.
Yea, apparently this course trains u up to meet the minimum requirements for a commercial pilot, but minimum requirements isn't what airlines want these days. Candidates often have way more hours than required (even up to 1000!), which makes the competition for employment extremely fierce. What's worse is that, there's always someone willing to do your job for lower pay. ><

Also not to mention the enormous amount of money you need to pay for courses.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
If you want to be a pilot, the UNSW program is good. Expensive but worth it.

My brother's currently a third year student of it and he's assured my parents he's pretty much guaranteed a job when he's finished. In the next few years there will be a number of commercial pilots retiring and a larger need for them in Asia. So I'm unsure as to why you guys are worrying?

James747

HSC
Guaranteed a job at where? Most graduates in australia first start off in teeny weeny regional airlines which fly cargo (maybe people) over rural australia for a few years until they can move to "bigger" airlines like virgin blue, qantas etc ... and most probably based in town far from home (like darwin or central aus).

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
He's looking at wherever he can get a job but he's been told that he should be fine to get one within Australia, Asia or the US (we're American citizens). He's also midway through getting his helicopter license too I believe.

Yes starting out on a smaller airline but he also doesn't want to have to fly the larger jets until he's been flying for awhile. Something to do with it being boring :p

James747

HSC
A helicopter licence too?!?!? O_O? R u guys incredibly rich or does he just want a back up in case he doesnt get a flying job? **Excuse me if u find me abit rude ;)

He is the first one ive heard who finds the big jets boring... butmaybe its kinda true, nowadays the autopilot does everything. Hehe

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
His dream is to be flying an A380 in about fifteen years. A lot of his flying buddies apparently feel the same way, they'd prefer to fly something a little smaller and more "fun". Then rake in the money later and do jackshit.

He's been lucky to get money from relatives that he'll have to pay back. Also the helicopter course is within the UNSW course (I believe) as some sort of elective?

James747

HSC
Hmm... thats interesting. i have never heard of elective courses in aviation. I thought everything was be set out by the ICAO (or wuteva organistion) as to wut u needa do for flying licences. A helicopter licence sounds... well, abit useless if he wants to fly planes. :p O well, i'm not too sure on my information..

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
Eh, he had the opportunity to do it and so went for it. I was under the impression that it tied into his degree but I might be wrong as well.

He almost did ROTC in the states because he'd always wanted to fly the fighter jets etc (he really likes doing barrel rolls, give you an indication of what kind of pilot he is :p).

I think it's more that it looks good on his resume as well as being a possibility for another job.

clairebear24

HSC
heya
I'm a girl in yr 10 looking at doing aviation next year at ultimo. is there anyone still on here who knows what this course is like? my parents are totally against me doing a tvet course, and I want to try and convince them that it's worthwhile. I want to do aero engineering at university. If anyone can help, any info at all, that'd be greatly appreciated.
thanks, Claire

Triple777ER

Vamos Rojas
HSC
Yeh, i was strongly towards aviation and still am, but will be restricted for further period of time. Because the aviation industry is quite unstable, i plan to do a back-up, Bsc IT at UTS. I got this advice and i think it is very considerate to have a back-up if you are towards the aviation industry. After i finish my degree, i will be training to become a pilot.

And remember, just because you need 70+ to get in doesnt mean you only get in the 70's, try and aim for much higher, because in the selection process it really does matter. I have loads of relatives who fly for QF, EY, EK, CP, VIR, SIA, etc.

HSC
stpjono said:

umm..you do know that Australia is experiencing a pilot shortage? and that
its quite easy to get a commercial job in a cessena 172 > to caravan in the
outback..

degrees will play little or no part at all in selection process for airlines.the only thing it may be good for is that it shows your dedicated..ive got my own career path as a pilot set out so i may be wrong..

apart from that..you shouldnt really be expecting an airline job till you get 2000+ total time with about 500 instrument and multi..that'll take you about
5 years ? where you'll stay as a SO for 2-5 years..then to a FO for another 5-10 years then to Cpt.

btw..there are pilot jobs advertised in the australian every friday..

oh yeah i forgot..pilot shortage may be over soon coz of the escalating fuel prices..

AND..now for my question
i never knew that there was a VET course for aviation and i just realised now..lol so id like ask whether you guys have the course offered through school? if not..is it possible to still get into aviation vet? and how much it is if there are any costs associated with this..

also..i just read that for 2007, it was on tuesday 1:30 to 5:30..that would mean i would have to miss some school on tuesday..is that right ?

thanks =]

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)