Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Entertainment Industry

i to Ent at Armidale. the Year 11 course is real good cos you do alot of hands on stuff in the modules like, setting up for musical performance and sound recording, OHS is a bit of a drag though. the year 12 course is not as exciting, its more the business side of the industry. though i guess it really depends on the teacher you have as to how much you'll enjoy it and how much you'll learn. one of our teachers owned a recording studio so that was a bonus and the one we have now is suited to what we're doing.

Pretty in Pink
    HSC
    Yeah I don't think it's possible to make OHS fun! Thats awesoem about your teacher owning a recording studio

HSC
    Hey guys
    tell me if I'm wrong but isn't the uai mark you
    get for entertainment based 100% on the final
    exam and not the trials at all? Thats what my teacher
    has been telling us...

HSC
    yup that is exactly right.
    UAI comes 100% from HSC
    i have a feeling all VET courses are like that.
    Good luck all =)

Cadet
    HSC
    Yeah i do Entertainment. Our school offers it, it's awesome, i love it!
    And yeah, the UAI mark is 100% - Our teacher that NO-ONE in all of NSW got band 6. the closest was an 89 (band 5) - lets hope that we will be the first to get BAND 6's!

Good Luck guys!

HSC

2004 HSC Examinations

I Have a query regarding what the entertainment canditure thinks of the following question. It is taken from the 2004 HSC Examination.

Question 7: You have set up a microphone for a guest speaker at a conference. During the sound check you find that it is not working.

What is the first thing you should do to identify the problem?

A: Change the microphone.
    B: Blow into the microphone.
    C: Check that the power supply is switched on.
    D: Check the microphone connection on the mixing desk.

What do you believe to be the correct answer? Justify your choice because there is discussion on what is the correct answer. Once a few people reply I will tell you what I think.

HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by refrakt
    I Have a query regarding what the entertainment canditure thinks of the following question. It is taken from the 2004 HSC Examination.

Question 7: You have set up a microphone for a guest speaker at a conference. During the sound check you find that it is not working.

What is the first thing you should do to identify the problem?

A: Change the microphone.
    B: Blow into the microphone.
    C: Check that the power supply is switched on.
    D: Check the microphone connection on the mixing desk.

What do you believe to be the correct answer? Justify your choice because there is discussion on what is the correct answer. Once a few people reply I will tell you what I think.

I'd choose (C) because...

1) It's the most obvious thing to do...and THEN if it wasnt that...
    2)Check the connections...and if its not that
    3) Change the microphone

and seriously who would blow into the mic unless you were a cock lol

HSC
    Anyone else?

HSC
    We actually went through that in class. I was saying you would check both the power and the connection.. thats wat most of the people in class thought too.
    (~:'*Allyson*':~)

HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by megeggie
    yup that is exactly right.
    UAI comes 100% from HSC
    i have a feeling all VET courses are like that.
    Good luck all =)
    I thought that UAI was assessment as well? LOL Shows how much attention my school pays hahaha!

HSC
    yeah, c is the most obvious, i suppose if the question specified that other things plugged into the power were working though it would be to check the connection.
    Are people studying for this exam, or relying on the common sense that seems to be the answer to most questions? lol

HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by megeggie
    Are people studying for this exam, or relying on the common sense that seems to be the answer to most questions?
    Lol, no I think everyone is relying on their own knowledge. It's not like there is much to study anyway.

But yeah, the question. At the outset im going to say that I dont do this course because its a bludge, I do it because its all very easy. Im not doing it for some crappy cert2 qual either because I already have a position at a leading Sydney based production company (Yes, this is relevant).

I believe that the question is incorrect for several reasons. First, it's not worded correctly (and any kind of industry speak is very low level). The question stipulates that Sound Check has already began (During the sound check). Every time I (and everyone else where I work) starts a soundcheck the first thing thats done is to power-up the system. Obviously, were not making noise yet so we can't determine if the mic is working or not. The question does not state that you have placed the channel in PFL/SOLO so it's basically saying that for it to 'work' some kind of signal has to come out of your FOH setup. For this to happen, power has to be applied to FOH and your DRIVE/AMP racks or if you want to be cheap, powered speakers...

So, because you are in the middle of soundcheck (During the sound check) you must have hard 240 coming from somewhere. Therefor, your console would be on and you would not be metering any signal from the channel. The first logical step would be to "D) Check Connections". Obviously, there are several ways to look at this question, but the BOS doesn't want to justify why they believe this is the right answer. I'm going to call this "trained-professional's" advice line to see what they think - but im expecting the same answer.

Ick, long...
    Will let you know how it goes.

HSC
    in other words, this course is so new and hasn't got properly qualified people teaching it we should all just take random guesses - coz no matter how much we study we're still gonna need a lot of luck

HSC
    I am still studying, even though I have come first since we started, there is still bound for things that I might not remember..

HSC
    well refrakt i hope you come first in state for your extensive knowledge...i just hope you dont confuse yourself in the process...i see what your saying and its all very true and relevant...
    and i just dont think its right having unqualified "teachers" teaching varying things that may or may not be appropriate to the course...
    i am also coming first ...but honestly this course shouldnt have been offered at all lol...if that makes any sense...

HSC
    True, they sent out teacher to some training course which didnt even instill the basic industry knowledge. Personally, I think this is more of a babysitting course, when we started we had about 12 in our class and now at HSC time we have 6. Not that many to start with really. The only reason I did it was that I knew I would get the marks, so why fail at something else? Oh and apparently the BOS Advice Line doesn't have a staff member for Entertainment. Meh...

Goodluck for the exam tho everyone - whatever the random, pointless, nothing to do with the industry content.

HSC
    yeah... your right a babysitting course.
    I'm coming second or third, and I don't study much.
    we had about 20 at the beginning of year 11... now we have 6 or 7 i think.
    i wanna get my cert 4 at tafe tho coz half the stuff i did that i thought could count towards wont... coz its stage management and i've been told it goes toward cert 4... so that is silly.
    good luck all!

HSC

ents

the best thing about this course is the hands on stuff and the work placement. we had to be crew for our schools musical and we set up pa systems for events around the school. bassically we are bump in/bump out slaves but yeah

work placement is the best tho, i did it at the sydney superdome and ended up getting a job out of it so thats very rad. also having to do the senior first aid looks good on ur resume

i dont kno how the hell were gonna handle the hsc test tho. luckly i have 12 units haha
    Last edited by leeha; 21 Jul 2006 at 10:10 AM.

HSC
    anyone know of any resources for it

HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by DementedDonkey
    hey i know you asked ages ago, but if you still need to know, the csu website has entertainment notes... they arent that thorough, but nothing for vet ever seems to be.. so it's better than nothing.

If you can find a library that has it

"A Phaidon Theatre Manual LIGHTING AND SOUND"
    by Neil Fraser

looks good.

Its what my teachers use instead of teaching the theory part of the course. I had a look at the contents, it seems to have everything, but i havn't read it yet so im not sure how accurate it is. Revised edition was reprinted last year so im guessing its up to date.

I think its a good course, but it'll take a few years to really take off. My school just started offering Certificate III to the Yr11's this year, which is probably better suited to anyone serious about a career in the industry.

HSC
    yeah, we use phaidon stuff, its good.

it will impropve, but for now... lucky the exam was easy
    the hands on stuff is the best... but year 12 we mainly did theory coz we did prac all of year 11 and realised we needed to do more theory lol

HSC
    in regard to the question about the microphone the answer is D). I know this because it was in my preliminary exam and i got it right .

HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by klufs2003
    in regard to the question about the microphone the answer is D).
    Yes it is, but for the 2004 HSC the BOS regarded C as the correct answer. There was no comment as to why they believed it was this answer. I just like to justify things myself...

HSC

Re: Entertainment Industry

well, it would have to be d. you could have the mic turned on, but if its not connected then theres no power, whether the mic it on or off.

btw i was sooo stupid at the concert the other day...one mic wasnt working. why not? i'd taken the connection out of the board. luckily i was smart enough to check the connection first before i ran up to the stage to fix it...but i was nearly stupid. Haha, after i had been smart i laughed at the backstagers for thinking it was turned off, which i nearly fell for too...

I know I'm posting everywhere, but i'd really like to do some of this work without doing it as a VET course. I already do a little lighting and sound at school, but I'd like to do more out of school. I'm willing to even be a bump in minion or something just to learn what stuff there is that our school can't affoard. If anyone knows of somewhere in Sydney where they got work experience, please tell me.
    Last edited by wynnedoze; 22 Dec 2006 at 3:34 PM.

HSC

Smile Re: Entertainment Industry

Yeah I do Entertainment, I love it and when i leave school i plan to go to NIDA and do the stage management course!!!
    Last edited by EnoughTime; 28 May 2007 at 4:37 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information