ask me if u need help (1 Viewer)

Dio-Rama

HSC
hey guys. doing an apprenticeship in commercial cookery so if ne of u need help with stuff that your doing in class and want extra info bout something then post up. should be able to help u with nething.

Tara =)

HSC
Hay Rama it would be really helpfull if you could give me information about methods of cookery!!!

i need definitions, the cooking process, suitable foods for each method, equipment needed, and explain and give examples of what can go wrong with this method of cookery!

i had to choose 5 an i picked:
Roasting
Boiling
Baking
Shallow Frying
and
Poaching

im jus looking for extra information!!

cheers!

Dio-Rama

HSC
hope this is helpful. have heaps more notes and things if needed. this is pretty basic.

roasting- dry heat method exposing food to heat in the oven or over an open fire.
oldest method used. seals the outside and retains moisture in the centre. tender food items should be used. slow roiasting done at 100 degrees.
green veg are too high in water and would lose flavour and burn. modern dishes use tomatoes and herb stalks in slow roasting to intensify flavours for stocks and sauces.
roasting is rarely used with seafood- too tender.
poultry often used because of the fattiness of the skin- natural basting.
game used but take care brecause of the leanness of the meat- can become dry. keep larger game underdone to maximise moisture.
most joints from lamb and pork suitable- natural fat for basting.
only younger animals in beef should be used if using the forequarters.

boiling- to submerge food in a liquid other than fat at 100 degrees.
mainly used for preperation of veg and farinaceous dishes.
liquid can be stock, water. sugar syrup. court-bouillon or other flavoured liquids. rapid boiling used for veg, paasta and rice.
simmering- 95-98 degrees.
green veg boiled rapidly- prevent discolouration. finish quickly to prevent lose of colour and flavour as well as nutritional value. never cover during cooking. refreshed in ice water.
pulses cooked rapidly to release toxins and make easier to digest.
starchy veg reduced to simmer to prevent the food breaking up. cold water sart usually to leach out bitterness. covered to cook evenly.
eggs- 7 min for soft yolk. 10 for hard yolk.
farinaceous foods often boiled to soften starch. ratio of 10:1 for rice and pasta.
seldom used for meat poultry or seafood. toughens the final product. fish tends to break up because of the delecacy of the flesh. better suited to poaching. whole shellfish boioled to penetrate shell thickness.
fruit and nuts blanched to loosen skin or shell.

baking- dry cookery method using convection in the oven.
meat, fruit and veg suitable though usually encased in pastry first. need good heat control. oven must be preheated. bake mostly in middle and back of oven- more constant even heat.
fibrous and starchy items used with fruit and veg. moister items usually covered in pastry to retain moisture.
use first class meat items- limited sinew and connective tissue. second class should be broken down first- mincing or prior cooking- pies, ragouts, pasties.

shallow fry- using a small amount of fat to cook food in a pan.
saute- toss in hot fat- food quickly browned and thossed throughout cooking process.
pan frying- butter or mixture of butter and oil used to seal item. food turned when presentation side is golden brown. should only turn food once.
stir fry- food cut small and uniformly to ensure fast and even cooking.
iron pans ideal.. do not wash or if washed then season with salt.
fruit often done flame. sealed in butter to enhance flavour and flaemd with spirits.
veg shallow fryed to provide gloss on outside. starchy veg sauted for crisp finish.
crumbing ideal.
can be applied to meat, poultry, seafood and game.
shallow frying without tossing usually for crumbed or floured meats. coating provides natural seal to retain moisture and prevent item for sticking to pan . pan preheated and then fat added. olive oil often used with butter to round the flavour.
crumbed items- know is done when the blodd juices start to pearyl nad bottom is brown.
heat control vital.

poaching- cooking in a liquid, normally other than fat, gentle form of cooking between 80 and 95 degrees.
used for tender meats, offal, terrines, fish, eggs, fruits and sweets.
can be shallow or deep ppoached.
shallow- food placed in buttered dish and cooked in small amount of liquid -stock and/or alcohol. poaching liquor can be used in sauce. fish fillets, small shellfish amd chicken breast.
often covered with cartouche to keep in moisture. dish mounted with butter after. (monter au beurre).

deep poaching- food submerged in liquid. whole fish , chicken, crustaceans. joints of meat.
done in milk, stock syrup or court-bouillon.
poaching used for delicate items.

soft fruit or stone fruit often paoched in stock syrup. apple. pear, pineapple. seafood, poultry and meat can be shallow or deep fryed but depends on size, tenderness and the menu application.

Reubics Cube

HSC
I have a hospitality assignment and I'm having trouble with two questions.
1) At a restaurant in an Australian city, several litres of spicy meat sauce were preoared then cooked in a large pot. The sauce was not needed immediatly so the pot was stored overnight in the coolroom, which was operating at the correct temperature. The following day the sauce was reheated slowly to about 50° C. The sauce was then served on pasta. Eight customers complained to the health department that they were all violently ill 24 hours after eating at the resturant. What chain of events caused this outbreak? How should each of the errors be prevented in the future?

2) Analyse the application of safe food handling practices including haccp, from delivery through to service of fresh, raw chicken breast.

The assignment is due in a week and I'm really stuck. Please help!

-Bec

Dio-Rama

HSC
1. because the meat was cooked in a large pot it would retain its temperature for several hours keeping it within the daanger zone for a lot longer than it should have been. the sauce should have been split down into smaller containers to cool quicker. plus the heat from the sauce would most likely have raised the temp of the coolroom thus extending the cooling down time of the sauce. haccp says that within the first two hours food must be cooled from 60 degrees to 21 degrees. then in a a further four hours lowered from 21 degrees to 5 degrees. i doubt that the meat in the large pot did that.
Also the food was reheated in the large pot to 50 degrees which is in the danger zone of 5-60 degrees. keeping it at the temperature through service is extremely dangerous as the temperatuere is perfect for the growth of bacteria. the time it took to heat up would also have increased the number of bacteria within the sauce as the heat would take a lot longer to penetrate through the larger pot than if it was done in several smaller ones.

alex12

HSC
N/A
I am having trouble understanding Workflow plans?
Can you please help

Reubics Cube

HSC
I really need help with this other question...i just need help getting started.
-Analyse the application of safe food handling practices including HACCP, from delivery through to service of fresh, raw chicken breast.
could you tell my some general points to help me get started?

janaaa2

HSC
heyy :) do u hav any notes on preparing sandwichess or egg salads and other farinaceous dishes? these r the most recent topics iv done n i need 2 catch up...

thankuuu

hitchies

HSC
N/A
Reubics Cube said:
I really need help with this other question...i just need help getting started.
-Analyse the application of safe food handling practices including HACCP, from delivery through to service of fresh, raw chicken breast.
could you tell my some general points to help me get started?
I am pretty sure that this is one of the extended response questions in the "standards packages" on the board of studies site. Perhaps the 2002 hospo Hsc exam??? u will find examples of exemplar and band5/6 examples. Your teacher will know so dont bother copying them but it will give u an idea of what is expected.. hope this helps.

Last edited:

Reubics Cube

HSC
i have my trial exam tomorrow and i suck at legislation and stuff so if u could give me any thing that would be asked in the trials that would be extreme!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)