Food Technology or Hospitality? :) (1 Viewer)

Which course is more fun, more rewarding and more worthwhile?

• Food Technology (Board Developed Course)

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Hospitality (UAI Category B)

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Schoey93

HSC
Hello everyone!

My name is James. I started this thread to get *hopefully* unbiased advice. I am in Year 10 at the moment, my two electives are Italian (studied through the Open High School) and Commerce.

I put Food Technology as my FIRST preference on my elective subject choices form in Year 8 (2007) but unfortunately, even though everyone else in the grade, all 149 other people, actually got to study their first preference... I was cheated out of mine as the Year Coordinator did not really have any idea what she was doing, and for some reason despite it not being listed as my first choice, she someone thought I wanted to do a language more than Food Tech (which I did not...weird, eh?).

ANYWAY, my points are:

• Next year I plan on studying either Hospitality (VET course, UAI Category B) or
  • Food Technology
  • I am looking for some who is doing/did both to offer their opinion on which is MORE ENJOYABLE. Not which scales better, because obviously that is Food Tech...
  • If you only do one of Food Tech and/or Hospo, please feel free to STILL vote on the poll or offer your opinion
  • WHICH IS THE BETTER, MORE FUN, MORE WORTHWHILE COURSE?

Last edited:

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC
james, you're a cute kid.

stop being so fucking gay.

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC
Food Technology. Do it. It's of course more theory than Hospitality but in my opinion much better to study. I think it is more enjoyable, if you are into the workings of the food industry and all its facets instead of the hospitality industy. And yes, there is a big difference.

Don't you have to do a compulsory work placement if you do Hospitality?

You still get to cook in Food Technology - learning to cook, understand and comphrehend whatever the properties are that you are studying at the time. Most of the time it can be far more in depth than Hospitality.

Well I enjoyed Food Technology, but I'd practically being doing it since Year 7. I always tended to think that Hospitality was more chef-orientation.

Good Luck, Xx.

Miss Code

HSC
james, you're a cute kid.

stop being so fucking gay.
That was not called for, pretty rude.

Hospo is good because you get to learn the trade and get a cert II out of it, workplacement is a good thing because if you do good enough and show them hard work, you may get a job out of it, I did.

Really food tech is good in year 9 and 10 year 11 and 12 not so much because its just a class where you cook and learn about food, you dont learn cuts and such, its a basic class.

It really depends on what you want to do really.
Good Luck with your deciding :)

emzym100

emily.
HSC
well i dunno what they do in food tech for years 11 & 12..
but i did food tech for years 8,9&10 and it was pretty good..

im in year 12 now and doing hospo, because i was told going into year 11 that food tech has waaay more theory, and to do hospo instead, for more prac..
hospo is pretty good...there's a lot of prac..and yes there is work placement.
70 hours of it. lol
but its quite good..if your looking to work in the industry especially...

if your looking for a bludgy subject..then i dont really think either of them are THAT easyy..but they are both alright..

and i know that this year is the last year you can get a cert.II in hospo..they are changing the syllabus next year, so if you do hospitality you wont receive a cert II, you'll just get competencies....

peaceee :]

jolly28xx

HSC
Hospitality for sure!!! I did food technology in year 9 & 10 and have friends that have done it years 11 & 12, they say that pretty much all they do is theory and dont seem to cook much whereas in the hospitality course you have to learn certain things and are marked on them which is part of the course, you also get to do 2 seperate weeks of work placement which is pretty fun and helpful if your looking at going into the hospitality industry :)

xx

T-Bone32

HSC
Hospo is good because you get to learn the trade and get a cert II out of it, workplacement is a good thing because if you do good enough and show them hard work, you may get a job out of it, I did.

Really food tech is good in year 9 and 10 year 11 and 12 not so much because its just a class where you cook and learn about food, you dont learn cuts and such, its a basic class.

It really depends on what you want to do really.
Good Luck with your deciding :)
Hospitality is infinately better because you get to do work expericence and then work placement for a total of 70hrs for each placement of work letting you in behind the scenes at seeing HOW exactly the hospitality system works.... and u might also get a job:spin:... i worked at the local bakery and dam i loved it....
i believe that you should do BOTH because food tech was really the theory behind everything you do in hospitality.... and then hospitality is really just the practical to your food tech theory.... plus a little bit more theory when it comes around to your HSC... so i say "DO BOTH!:)" its worked for me.... i just believe experience through hands-on knowledge is probably the best teacher....:) sorry if ive rambled on :confused:

arumisan

HSC
Hospitality is infinately better because you get to do work expericence and then work placement for a total of 70hrs for each placement of work letting you in behind the scenes at seeing HOW exactly the hospitality system works.... and u might also get a job:spin:... i worked at the local bakery and dam i loved it....
i believe that you should do BOTH because food tech was really the theory behind everything you do in hospitality.... and then hospitality is really just the practical to your food tech theory.... plus a little bit more theory when it comes around to your HSC... so i say "DO BOTH!:)" its worked for me.... i just believe experience through hands-on knowledge is probably the best teacher....:) sorry if ive rambled on :confused:
:D

i have to agree with you - do both like me, and a couple of others at my school, i mean if you can, as both are beneficial to each other

Larry01

HSC
Im Doing both, i love food tech and hospo is like a brush up a very easy subject hopefully it would affect my atar.

neeks0023

HSC
they're two completely different subjects (even if they do interrelate at some points)

if you're into food science and the production of food and the australian food industry (not the hospitality industry) do food tech. its alot more theory but its realy interesting and if u enjoy it its easy to get good marks

hospitality doesnt have any assessments, therefore 100% based on the exam you do on the day.. if u fuck up an essay in hospo in your exam, you loose 15 marks. It is based on the hospitality industry ..things like being a chef and what to expect in the work force, and you get to do work experience.

if your into doing theory work, which you seem to be as you do commerce etc, do food tech, after all it scales way better than hospo anyway
but if your using hospo as a 12th unit, do it anyway.
why dont you do both and you can always drop the one you like least

zeleboy

HSC
From what I know

Food Tech has more science to it

Hospitality has more regulations in it

Schoey93

HSC
I chose Hospitality. :)

My subjects are biology, English advanced, hopsitality (kitchen operations), Italian, PD/H/PE and studies of religion II.

If Italian is too difficult (I'm doing Italian Continuers), I will drop it and do Food Technology instead, as they are on the same line. :)

Thank you for your help!

Kymberlea

HSC
i'm in yr 10 as well and in one of the lines got the option of doing either hospitality, food tech or a language. since i really DON't like languages i've decided to go for either food tech or hospitality. my other subjects are English Adv. Mathematics (2 unit), Economics, Business Studies and Physics. I have to choose one and i'm not sure which would be better

Mushy Goo

HSC
I do hospitality (kitchen operations) at TAFE, it's the best day of my week.
you come out at the end with a cert II, so if you want to go on to study and do a cert IV or diploma, it counts as a credit towards it.
Work placement is an incredible experience, and if you get a good place you meet some amazing people. I did mine at the Hilton Hotel.

And the theory is pretty much transferable to any tourism/hospitality course.
AND, you learn other valuable stuff that can be applicable to any job, like the units "communicate on the telephone" and "work with colleagues and customers"

You can't do anything about the scaling, so just choose the one you'll enjoy more!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)