Knife Cutting (1 Viewer)

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
I am really nervous - l am going to be doing knife cutting on Monday and l can't cut a piece of carrot the same to save my life..

Does it matter if l can't do it exactly?

Will it affect my UAI if l can't?

woohohoohoo

captain oblivious
HSC
hehe i was shit too. you learn to cover up, put the good pieces at the top and so on. you just have to b competent, make the teacher think you are. nah it doesnt affect your uai. just try ya best, and dont cut yourself!

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
I did it!!

It wasn't as hard as l thought. The teacher did demo's and told us all the steps, she was really helpful. We had to cut julienne carrots and turnips..that was so hard and it took a long time!!

Luckily l didn't cut myself - my teacher said that if you rush and not concentrate you are more likely to cut yourself, so l didn't rush and l concentrated!!

It was kinda fun, except when we had to dice the onion evenly..l couldn't stop crying!!

elizarose

Look dude there is no test on the practicle component of your hospitality course. The only touch of practical assessment comes at the hsc exam and its the last question which might get you to write a menu or something depending on which stream your school/tafe opted for.
The reason why they make you do the practical component is this is part of your competencies and your teacher just ticks or crosses whether or not you can do these things. This goes towards yyour national accreditation not your uai mark which is solely derived form your hsc exam out of 90

peepee

loser.
HSC
oh my goodness, does your teacher have little laminated cutting guides?

when i did hospitality in year 11 and 12 she would give us these guides and every single piece had to match up

what a useless skill.

in a real kitchen they will never check if every cutting of carrot is in julliene (however you spell it)

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Originally posted by peepee
oh my goodness, does your teacher have little laminated cutting guides?

when i did hospitality in year 11 and 12 she would give us these guides and every single piece had to match up

what a useless skill.

in a real kitchen they will never check if every cutting of carrot is in julliene (however you spell it)
No she didn't have plastic guides, but she did come around and measure them with a ruler and compared them to one another.

When l was on workplacement the chefs didn't care how l cut, as long as they looked similar.

some_random

our teacher just checked to see if it was basically right size and shape..

no rulers, no guides, no nothing..

its basically just to make you competent
and get your certificates I & II

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)