Workplacement (1 Viewer)

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
l'm going on workplacement next week for 5 days and l am so nervous!!

On the phone l rang up and l didn't talk to the guy who l was supposed to talk to - l talked to the receptionist instead (she sounded like a bitch).

l'm going to Rooty Hill and just doing basic stuff like washing up, food preperation, food presentation, mise en place, stock roation..etc.

Has anyone else here been on workplacement?

What was it like? Were they mean to you? Did you like it?

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
I just finished and l hated it.

I peeled carrots and chopped food all day. The only interesting thing l did was cook garlic bread (yay).

I worked for 35 hours fom 2pm - 9:30pm and my feet are still sore.

shattermenow

i hated the waste of time. my workplacement was the same as misturi's (but this was last year, ive graduated yr 12 now)

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Originally posted by shattermenow
i hated the waste of time. my workplacement was the same as misturi's (but this was last year, ive graduated yr 12 now)
Same, l would have prefered to be at school.

We had to fill out a booklet and at the end of the week there were two pages on your comments on the week. I put that it was much more tiring than what we do at school - we only cook for approx 2 hours or less at school. We also got a 30min break at 5:30pm.

ParagonAZN

HSC
N/A
I use to work at Mc Donald's so i'll prob go back there. Even though they underpayed me there (i got like 7.50 an hour) I compensated myself with 'free food'. Twas great. mmmmmm.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
i did workplacement at parramatta leagues club
and
liana's restaraunt (italian)

both in parramatta.

both were really fun

smittenkitten

Poopinator
I did work placement at a few places. I think...it wasn't very fun at the golf club I went to. They had me washing giant pots with 10zillion layers of grease and fat, heat-bonded onto it:p I was up to my elbows (literally) in grease.

The cafe was better.

And paragonazn, you're not allowed to do maccas as workplacement as they don't have a 'kitchen environment' or some crap the teacher was telling me about last yr. Basically, you can't go to fast food joints except pizzahut.

elizarose

I had a pretty cruzy workplacement @ The ANA Harbour Grand which has now changed to Shangri La. It's at the Rocks and its a beautiful 5 star hotel and we got all you can eat staff meals, laundry costs, and a chance to see how bitchy the chefs can be when they haven't had their 8 hours sleep before a big wig function!! I worked from 9 am till 5pm for five days. This year i am going to Doyle's at Watson's bay for three 8 hour days. Hopefully this one won't be too bad either!

deluded

I did it two weeks ago at the Olympic Velodrome. Would of been good if I actually enjoyed being in a kitchen.

Last year I did it at St. George Leagues.

Manda_dunga

teachy_teach
HSC
i just finished a week at Sydnye Harbour Mariott. I spent my days in the lift delievering messages to ppl. but the people were really nice, their just not suitable for a work placement student. Previously i went to Sheraton on the PArk, it was ok except all da chefs were non-English speaking horny bastards.

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
One of the room sevice guys walked past me and grabbed my butt as he walked past.

peepee

loser.
HSC
i did both hospitality AND tourism in year 11 and 12 and did work placement for both of them

warning: don't eat at smithfield rsl - it is the dirtiest.
farmhouse restaurant in abbotsbury is ok to eat at though :) if you're ever at fairfield city farm for any particular reason....

V-String

I had the best time at workplacement last year. I went with a friend to the Four Points by Sheraton on Darling Harbour. The people there are heaps nice, so if you have a choice, go there. Although, the stuff we did was pretty repetitive. We cracked heaps of eggs and put bacon onto trays.. and made guacamole. But it was still fun...

babeishnes

i have worked in a 5 star place for 6 months, it is ok but be careful of the head chef, the power goes to their heads

v sia

HSC
they say workplacement is catered for the area you live in .... then why do i hear people in my school saying they did workplacement in the city etc.

how bad would that be , 2 hour travelling there and back + train ticket , even worse if you have to be there at 7 am or something

oh yeah i forgot you dont get paid and you miss out on 1 week of school

( god ... im scared of where im gonna do workplacement at )

some_random

i liked my workplacement last year
This year...
I hated it..

Last edited:

Just Jess

I was actually pretty lucky wit my prelim work placement, i went to cafe in blue mtns that hosts functions in syd at convention centre. So i got to met a bunch of b & c list celebs at a function Then got offered job at the cafe so coz of 'recognition of prior knowledge' didnt have to do placement again this yr. Dont be nervous of work placement yr 11s, mostly its fun, except for up themselves head chefs.

HienNie

Oh man.....my prelim workplacement for hospo was great. I did my workplacement at NSW Parliament House in the city. i met alot of very experienced workers and did nothing but waiter tables A La Carte style and functions. it's fun if your into just cleaning and serving food.....

Jezza

I did 3 work placements and hade a ball....one of the i was offered a scholarship program at ryde, i did one at an international golf tournament, and one at a busy cafe, so much fun wish there was more, but it was tiring

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)