Hospitality Scaling & HSC Marks (1 Viewer)

romanticismstudent

HSC
Since the Hospitality HSC mark is determined by the one final examination:

Is the HSC course mark the same as the raw score in the exam?
E.g. A person gets 98% in the exam, and their official HSC mark is 98.

Or do they further scale the exam mark based on the state cohort?
E.g. If a person got 98% in the exam, but that is the highest in the state, is this mark moved up to 100?

torylearn

HSC
N/A
Apparently it stays around the same or becomes a lower mark due to poor scaling, my Construction teacher told me you can not get 99.95 with hospitality/business services/construction etc. So moral of the story a 98 in hospo will probably be (98) not 100.

edit:

According to the 2013 atar calculator "100" in hospitality was equivalent to 98.65, whilst 98 was equiv to 98.1 :)

Last edited:

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
true. My maths tutor did 4u maths, mostly social science subjects and a VET course (i think it was hospo or construction), and he attained a 98.55 atar

romanticismstudent

HSC
Thanks for your help!

To any with the same question, I think there IS some alignment involved. My teacher told me that they moderate the state average to 75, and depending on where you fall on a relative scale, determines whether you get aligned upwards or downwards. It DOES make sense considering they can't just give you a raw mark for a subject, however don't take this as absolute truth. There IS HOPE in Hospitality though! I hated this subject all the way through and regretted picking it, but hard work does pay off and you can still get a 99+ ATAR with it!

romanticismstudent

HSC
WOW well done for getting 2nd in the state for hospo! :party:
congrats on the 97! wow! :O
i ended up getting 95 for Hospo :)

do you know what your raw mark were?
and do you know what marks were needed to get a state ranking this year for 1-10th place? like 96+ or?

i think i might order my raw marks for hospitality because i dont know how i ended up getting the mark i did
No, I don't actually know what my raw mark was, sorry - and I don't think I'll order mine tbh.
Congrats on 95! Was that this year? You would've been really close since I know someone who also got 95 and got 7th in the state! What separates you and them would be the slightest difference in raw marks, which then both get aligned to 95 since there was such a small difference. Alignment is like rounding up but then what distinguishes the ranks is the precise raw mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)