Methods Of Cookery-notes (1 Viewer)

_manda_87_

HSC
Methods Of Cookery-notes *ON HERE NOW*

Original message:
Heya!

Okay basically this was an assesment i did last year and it also doubled as my notes for methods of cookery so...here it is...

Methods of Cookery

The difference between dry and moist heat methods of cookery is that moist heat methods use a liquid cooking medium usually stock, water, and milk or fruit juice. The liquid medium transfers the heat to the food and cooks the food by convection, while dry heat methods use no liquid as a cooking medium. Instead heat is transferred by direct contact (conduction), rays going through the food (radiation), or heat moving through the air.

The following table lists the methods of cookery into two categories dry and moist heat methods of cookery.

DRY Heat Methods
∑Shallow Frying
∑Baking
∑Deep Frying
∑Grilling
∑Roasting

Moist heat methods
∑Boiling
∑Steaming
∑Braising
∑Poaching

Boiling

Boiling is the method of cooking in which food is immersed in a liquid and cooked at 100∞C.

How to boil a potato:-
-Fill a saucepan with cold water so the potatoes are just covered
-Place on heat with lid on (note: green vegetables should not be boiled with lid on as it causes discoloration)
-When water starts to boil remove lid and lower temperature to a simmer
-Check if potatoes are cooked, this can be done by using a metal skewer, if there is little resistance the potatoes are ready

How to boil an egg:-
-Boil water in a saucepan
-Place the egg(s) in the boiling water gently with a spoon
-Cooking time depends on how you want to eat the egg
~For a soft-boiled egg, boil for 3-4 minutes
~For a hard-boiled egg, boil for 9-10 minutes
~For a medium boiled egg, boil for 5-6 minutes

How to boil rice or pasta:-
-Boil water in a saucepan
-Pour rice/pasta into boiling water, maintain temperature
-Cook for desired time
*Pasta is best cooked al dente which is Italian for "to the tooth" or cooked enough to be firm but not soft
-Pour outs into a colander, sieve or chinos and rinse with cool water

When boiling the following utensils and equipment can be used:
-Wooden spoon, for stirring or slotted spoon to remove food and leave liquid
-Large saucepan or stockpot
-Ladles, for soup
-Stove top
-Colander, sieve, chinos

Foods that are suitable to be boiled include:-
-Pasta & rice
-Potatoes
-Legumes
-Eggs

When boiling foods it is important to know how to cook the various foods. I.e. whole root vegetables need to be started in cold water and develop to the boil in time. If you place them directly into boiling water the outer cells start to disintegrate and may affect the colour, texture and taste. As the outer cells break down so do the Vitamins (a) within, causing the nutrients to be leached out into the water.

Steaming

Steaming is a moist heat method of cooking. Instead of placing the food itself into boiling water it is cooked in the steam produced by boiling the water.

How to steam vegetables:-
-Using a double saucepan, fills water in the base part of saucepan and boil with lid on
-As soon as water is boiling, place vegetables in top half of saucepan, replace lid. (If steaming different vegetables together, ensure that those that take longest go in first e.g. carrots first then add broccoli)
-Check that water doesn't boil dry, top up if required
-A metal skewer or sharp object can be used to check if the vegetables are ready. If there is little resistance then remove and serve

The equipment and utensils that are used for steaming include: -
-Double saucepan
-Tongs, for serving
-If steaming fish, a fish kettle can replace a saucepan

Most vegetables (carrots, broccoli) can be steamed as well as most types of seafood's (fish oysters), tender meats (sirloin and fillets) dried fruits and Christmas Puddings.

Steaming is a nutritional method of cooking; it is one of the healthiest because it retains the water-soluble vitamins B&C that would otherwise be lost in other methods.

Braising

Braising is a slow, moist heat cooking method which cooks whole or large cuts of meat in a covered pot with a small amount of liquids which forms the basis of the gravy/sauce to accompany the dish. Braising usually takes place in an oven but can also be done on a stovetop.

How to braise a large piece of meat
-Pre-heat oven to 170∞C
-Prepare and blanche mirepoix
-If brown braising (meat and vegetables are browned and dark ingredients such as brown stock or red wine are used) brown the meat and vegetable on the stove and deglaze with stock or red wine
-Place main meat item in the pot and surround it with the browned vegetables and small amount of liquid (wine or stock)
-Bring to the boil, skim, cover and transfer to pre-heated oven
-Simmer in oven until fork tender
-Carve before serving

The utensils needed to braise are a braising pan (brassiere), chinos-for straining and a ladle for the juices.

Four foods suitable for braising include: -
-Vegetables, potatoes, carrots
-Feathered game, duck, goose
-Red meat
-Pork

The nutritive value of this cooking method is high because this method incorporates both steaming and stewing. Both of these methods raise the nutritional value, steaming locks in the soluble vitamins A&C and when stewing, both the liquid and the food is eaten so any vitamins and minerals that leached out during the cooking process are not lost.

Shallow Frying

Shallow frying is the cooking of food in a small amount of fat or oil in a shallow fry pan or on a metal surface at a high temperature. The principle includes stir frying, pan-frying and sautéing. Depending on what food is being fried a coating may or may not be required. If it is, the item of food, for example fish. Is coated in flour, then into egg and finally into bread crumbs. This protects the food from breaking down, and it keeps some of the nutrients protected.

How to shallow fry a piece of fish
-Using fresh oil place 1-2T of oil in fry pan (amount of oil will depend on the size of the fry pan)
-Bring oil to high temperature and test with small cube of bread
-Only add a couple of pieces of fish at a time, if size permits
-Have paper towel ready on a plate to remove excess oil
-Garnish and serve

Utensils and equipment that can be used for shallow frying include: -
-Shallow frying pan or wok
-Tongs and egg flip
-Kitchen towel and plate
-Stove top

Foods suitable for shallow frying include: -
-Fresh eggs
-Fish
-Meat, fillet steak
-Fruits, sliced apples

Nutrient value is not a high as other methods, this is due to the amount of oil that the food is submerced in.

Deep Frying

Deep-frying is the cooking of food by submerging it in large amounts of fat or oil at a high temperature; it is classified as a dry method of cookery as it has a drying effect on food.

How to deep fry a fish
-As most foods need t be protected from the high temperature of the fat or oil, it is a good idea to first coat them in a batter or crumb them with an egg wash and bread crumbs. To do this place the fish in flour, ensure it is completely covered. Next place the fish in the egg wash, again make sure it is covered all over, then place the fish in the bread crumbs and put it on a plate in the fridge until you are ready to cook.
-Fill a pot between half way and two thirds full with oil.
-Heat on high, to check that oil is hot enough place a small cube of bread in the oil, if the oil starts bubbling time how long it takes for the bread to brown. If the bread is brown in less than 15 seconds the oil temperature is too high. This could result in the center of the fish not being uncooked.
-When the temperature is right, gently place the fish into the basket or pot and lower into oil, turn fish to brown on opposite side
-After both sides have been cooked, raise basket and allow to drain then remove them from the basket and place them on a plate with paper towel to absorb the excess oil
-Garnish and serve immediately

To deep-fry any type of food the following utensils should be used: -
-Tongs or spider
-Plates and kitchen towel
-Deep fryer or large pot

Just about any food can be deep-fried, some examples include the following: -
-Fish
-Lean meat
-Fruits e.g. Banana
-Dough e.g. Doughnuts

Due to the large amount of oil that is used and the temperature at which the oil rises to, it is likely that the vitamins and minerals in the pre-fried foods are broken down and non-existent by the end of the cooking process. However there are high levels of carbohydrates and depending on the brand of oil (olive, peanut, vegetable oils etc) it may not be as bad for you as other oils.

Poaching

Poaching is the cooking of food in a liquid just below boiling point. It is a slow method best suited to delicate foods.

How to poach foods: -
-Heat poaching liquid* to between 93 and 95∞C
-Once temperature is up gently lower food into simmering liquid
-Allow to cook
-Remove and drain if necessary

*Depending on the food being poached the corresponding liquid can be used, e.g. if poaching a fish, fish stock can be used as well as wine or juice, depending on what flavour is required.

Like deep-frying, any food can be poached. Some examples are shown here: -
-Fruit-pears can be poached whole and in stock syrup. For any fruit that is being poached it must stay submerged other wise the fruit won't cook evenly and discoloration may occur. To prevent this from happening use a cartouche.
-Eggs -need to be poached in a deep pan with a little vinegar (to keep the egg together)
-Fish can be poached and is usually poached in a liquid known as a court bouillon
-Tender cuts of meat e.g. chicken fillets

Poaching is a healthy option for cooking as all the water-soluble minerals remain locked in and no oils are needed so the fat content is very low.

Stewing

In stewing, meat cut into smaller pieces or cubes is cooked gently in liquid to completely cover it, and the vegetables are included. A stew can be simmered in a pot on the stovetop or cooked in a covered casserole in the oven. Stewing is suitable for the least tender cuts of meat that become tender and juicy with the slow moist heat method.

How to stew a large piece of meat: -
-Slowly brown the meat in a small amount of oil stirring to brown all sides, this adds a great deal of flavor to your dish.
- Pour off drippings and season as desired.
-Add water or broth to cover
-Cover with a tight fitting lid.
-Simmer on a low heat on the stovetop until meat is fork tender.

Not many utensils are needed to make a stew so that means not much washing up!
The following equipment and utensils are used: -
-Large pot
-Knife
-Wooden spoon
-Saucepan
-Stove top

To make a stew there is a variety of different meats and vegetables you can use: -
-Beef
-Lamb
-Carrots
-Onion

The nutritional level of stews is very high because they contain all the vitamins, minerals and nutrients that are in the meats and vegetables. Stewing is a combination of steaming and braising.

Baking

Baking is a method of cooking that employs dry-heat in a closed chamber. This is similar to roasting; however, the term is usually applied to pastries, pies, and breads, where roasting usually applies to meats and game.

How to bake a cake/biscuits etc
-Pre-heat oven to temperature
-Mix ingredients together
-Pour into cake tin/biscuit tray etc
-Place in oven
-Leave in oven for desired time
-Remove from oven and cool on cooling rack

Equipment and utensils needed for baking in clude: -
-Oven
-Oven mits
-Baking tray
-Cake tin
-Bowls
-Wooden spoons
-Electric beater
-Measuring spoons/cups

Foods suitable for baking include: -
-Pasta (pasta bake)
-Tuna (Tuna mornay)
-Baked potatoes
-Chicken

Some nutrients can be lost if the food is cooked too long, it can also cause the protein within the food to go rubbery.

Grilling

Grilling is a quick dry-heat method over charcoal, wood or gas flames. It is the method of cookery where the food is cooked by radiated heat directed from above or below the food.

How to Grill a fish: -
-Pre-heat grill
-Place clean fish on a cooling rack on an oven tray and place under grill
-Leave under heat until lightly browned on both sides
-Remove and serve

Equipment used to grill: -
-Cooling rack
-Oven tray
-Grill
-Tongs for turning

As with many other methods of cookery almost anything can be grilled, some examples include: -
-Fish
-Tomatoes
-Pineapple
-Sausages (pork)

Little nutrient loss occurs if food is prepared correctly. Ie it's not overcooked. However large amounts of fat are often added.

Roasting

Roasting is a dry method of cooking, it is when the food is cooked in an oven.

How to roast a chicken: -
-Place oven rack on second level from bottom.
-Heat oven to 500 degrees.
-Remove the fat from the tail and crop end of the chicken.
-Discard the neck and giblets or freeze for making chicken stock later.
-Reserve chicken livers for another use.
-Stuff the cavity of the chicken with the lemon, garlic and butter, if using.
-Season the cavity and skin with salt and pepper.
-Place the chicken in a 12-by-8-by-1 1/2-inch roasting pan, breast-side up.
-Put in the oven legs first and roast 50 to 60 minutes, or until the juices run clear. After the first 10 minutes, move the chicken with a wooden spatula to keep it from sticking.
-Remove the chicken to a platter by placing a large wooden spoon into the tail end and balancing the chicken with a kitchen spoon pressed against the crop end. As you lift the chicken, tilt it over the roasting pan so that all the juices run out of the cavity and into the pan.
-Pour off excess fat from the pan and put the pan on top of the stove.
-Add the stock or other liquid and bring to a boil, scraping the bottom vigorously with a wooden spoon.
-Let reduce by half.
-Serve the sauce over the chicken or, for crisp skin, in a sauce boat.

Utensils and equipment used include: -
-Wooden spoon
-Tongs
-Oven
-Roasting pan
-Sharp knives

Other foods that can be roasted include: -
-Potatoes and pumpkins
- Leg of lamb
-Turkey
-Pork

Some vitamins and minerals are lost through this process of cooking. The protein may go rubbery if over cooked and the fat content is high due to the fact that it is needed for basting.

Menus

Table d'hôte: translates to 'table of the host' A full-course meal offering a limited number of choices and served at a fixed price in a restaurant, hotel or club.

Set Menu: a menu that is prepared by the chef determining what meals will be on the menu for a season this menu occurs in cafes and restaurants.

Ala Carte: translates to "according to the card" it is a menu that has individual dishes listed with separate prices. It allows the guest to have a variety of options. Because the dishes are made to order there is a period of waiting. These menus may appear in restaurants and on cruises.

Cyclic: This menu is one that has numerous fixed meals and is rotated over a period of time. Each cycle has no limitations; a cycle can vary from 1 week to 6 weeks. There are usually three meals served in a day and the varieties of foods are broad. These menus are popular in hospitals and institutions

Buffet: a buffet is a table that is set up so that people can have easy access to it. Both hot and cold platters can be served and the guests can choose what they would like.
Buffets can be used at parties and luncheons

Carte d'jour: this menu often presents itself on a small card that is added to the a la carte menu, it contains 6 or 7 meals and from this a 3 coarse meal can be chosen. These menus are common in restaurants, function rooms and catered dinner parties.

Garnishes

A garnish can be anything that adds visual appeal and complimentary colors, flavors, textures, aromas or temperatures to the meal being served. A garnish (decoration) can also be eaten with the rest of the meal.

P.S if u do have any questions dont hesitate to email or PM me! Good luck!

Last edited:

sarahnolan87

HSC
Hi, I was just wondering if you would be able to send me any notes that you have for hospitality. I m so screwed for the methods of cookery module. If you dont have time thats ok but if do that would be great if you could send them to me. My add is SARAHNOLAN87@hotmail.com

*bettyboop*

notes for hospotality

hey guys. with the notes, i know its a pain in the butt to write it out i would send you notes if i had them but mine are written my hand. and even theres not much there. the best way to learn about methods of cookery are in thos colourfull books our teachers gave us. look for the purple booklet. i hope you find it or have it. otherwise the excel book, but its not that i good i spose. if neone wants to send me some notes for hospotality at all it would be much appreciated.

jackyboy

HSC
hey i would like u to send me ur hospo notes please, thnx. ghett0star@hotmail.com
u should also make a thread and attach the notes so people can easily download the file on the go.. thnx anywayz.

Last edited:

haley11

HSC
Methods of cookery

hey just in case ur not havin much luck wid ur methods of cookery....
a really great book to check out which most schools should have in
" Heinemann @ work"
"Hospitality Book 1"
Find i quite strange that none of u seem to be using this Text book.
u should try and find it, it has really good information and is straight forward

jissie

Me
HSC
i know this thread was made ages ago, but if it is possible would u be able to send those notes to me, coz our school has text books but not enogh for everyone so we dont get to take them home.... weird i know.... anyway my email is jesstar88@hotmail.com
thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)