How do you geographers study for this subject? Any tips? (1 Viewer)

MzRobinHood97

HSC
Hey guys!
I've been searching EVERYWHERE but Geography seems like the subject where there are limited resources i.e textbook and whatnot. I was wondering, if there are any past geographers(or present) how do you practice for skills? Using what? A textbook? And how do you prepare for exams etc.

Any ideas would really help :)

Stag

HSC
I did Geo accelerated last year and this is how I did it.
I never really studied for skills (nor did the rest of my grade); they were things we learned in year seven/eight and we knew them from then on (with the exception of a few such as ternary graphs which we learned during the HSC). We were given skills practice books by our teachers occasionally but rarely worked on them. I guess if you want to practice them like the ones you will get in the actual HSC exams, the easiest way is to do past-papers (I'll get to that...)
In terms of preparing for exams, the way I did it was similar to everyone else in my grade who did well. I wrote up syllabus notes according to dot points using a combination of the outdated textbook we had, the internet, notes from past students, notes from students at other schools and what other guys in my class had. Summarise until you have the minimal amount you need and then rote learn until you know what is coming in the next sentence before you get to it (you should be at this stage by Trials/HSC). After that, start working through past papers from trials / old HSC exams. A lot of people say to do them under exam conditions, but honestly I never did, so do what works for you. If that means doing a question and then looking at the sample answers / your notes and checking you included everything you needed to, then do that. But really, you should be getting through every question of every past paper.
I hope that helped, and if you have any questions you can PM me. I don't really come on here much (only when I'm looking for resources) but I'll reply when I get the chance. If a bloke in my class can state-rank with the teacher we had (all she ever did was talk about her love for wine) then you sure can. Good luck.

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
tbh..geo is the most boring subject in yr 10...environment bullshit all year...

tasmanravenbeard

HSC
Prepare practice essays, when you look at past essay questions, there appears to be some that are reused a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)