Is Accounting in HSC worth it? (1 Viewer)

urmum65

HSC
^ Does it help in Uni? Does it make you more employable?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
If you are doing accounting in uni as a part of a commerce or economics degree-I think accounting will definitely be helpful for learning the most fundamental of stuff-but the advantage will not be much(I have a friend who did accounting in HSC and she has testified to this), whether it makes you more employable will depend on what you want to be employed as, but generally in the finance/commerce sector-employers generally look at your tertiary degree performance and not your HSC subjects-you will have to have done really well in it, i.e. a state rank or something for employers to remotely think about it(and even then, it may only be helpful if you are finding a job in the middle of your uni degree), but doing accounting in HSC in some extent might possibly make getting a cadetship at the end of yr 12 to work at an accounting firm and do part time study more easily(but you will have to do really well in the subject)

So, in summary, it won't really help in uni-you should consider subjects you like, and it doesn't really make you more employable. So my advice-work as hard as possible for your subjects-because at the end of the day, your ATAR is what will get you into your uni course in the shortest time possible
Hope this helps:)

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Just to tell you, it's not just Accounting anymore, it's financial services for a reason, the final exam will only have like 1/8 of the exam as accounting (another 1/8 describing the process of it, but that's abit different,more university level i guess), the rest is theory. Although my TAFE had us learn everything in accounting as they would've taught for Accounting HSC. Anyone who did just Accounting for HSC previously had it easier(I could've easily gotten a state rank for it,it just becomes logical after a year,but some people never get the theory). The accounting you learn will help you basically for just the first-semester of university,as it's pretty much the same.

Strawberry makes some good points,but also some bad assumptions. Doing Financial Services does help getting a cadetship(or UTS scholarship or Co-op),it is a nice conversation starter,and though the big 4 acknowledge it,the mid-tiers especially like it for some reason. I got a cadetship,and even though it's not just based on the subject,I can tell it helped me pull through,because it shows interest early on.

For a little extra time during holidays, you may do MYOB type accounting and then you would be presented with a finished cert 3. This really helps in getting a part-time job as accounts management/data entry etc..alot of acccounting students previously picked up these sorts of jobs,if not cadetships.

That being said I wouldn't do the subject for 'helping in uni' or 'employable', as ultimately if those are your reasons you will just find this subject really dry,and be one of the people who decides to either drop it in the first term, or at the end of the first year.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
^ totally correct, you learn the other processes at higher level education.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Just to tell you, it's not just Accounting anymore, it's financial services for a reason, the final exam will only have like 1/8 of the exam as accounting (another 1/8 describing the process of it, but that's abit different,more university level i guess), the rest is theory. Although my TAFE had us learn everything in accounting as they would've taught for Accounting HSC. Anyone who did just Accounting for HSC previously had it easier(I could've easily gotten a state rank for it,it just becomes logical after a year,but some people never get the theory). The accounting you learn will help you basically for just the first-semester of university,as it's pretty much the same.

Strawberry makes some good points,but also some bad assumptions. Doing Financial Services does help getting a cadetship(or UTS scholarship or Co-op),it is a nice conversation starter,and though the big 4 acknowledge it,the mid-tiers especially like it for some reason. I got a cadetship,and even though it's not just based on the subject,I can tell it helped me pull through,because it shows interest early on.

For a little extra time during holidays, you may do MYOB type accounting and then you would be presented with a finished cert 3. This really helps in getting a part-time job as accounts management/data entry etc..alot of acccounting students previously picked up these sorts of jobs,if not cadetships.

That being said I wouldn't do the subject for 'helping in uni' or 'employable', as ultimately if those are your reasons you will just find this subject really dry,and be one of the people who decides to either drop it in the first term, or at the end of the first year.
Thanks for pointing out the inadequacies within my response and supplementing it with a very extensive answer:)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd put it from a different point of view- whilst it is useful, by no means will you be significantly disadvantaged for not doing it. Everyone will be even by the end of first year of university.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)