Classical Greek Cont. & Ext. Class of 07 (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey there,

I'm just interested in finding other Classical Greek students who are doing their HSC in 2007. There are 17 of us out there apparently and I know there is 3 including myself at my school...so yes I'm just interested in finding others.

So if you know anyone who does Greek or you do Classical Greek, tell me or something. :)

Yeah! I'm interested to know how the others find Greek, what they think of the course and just general things like that!

Merry Christmas!

CURRENT COHORT (from what information I've got)
Board of Studies= 17 candidates finished the Preliminary Course (6 girls 11 boys)
Pymble Ladies' College x3 (all do Cont. and Ext.)
All Saints Greek Orthodox Grammar x5 (with 3 Ext.)
Sydney Grammar School x4 (all do Cont. and Ext.)

Last edited:

fivestarrichie

HSC
Hi

I am Richard, who I think you met at Classical Greek Summer School.

I was just wondering how you can find out how many people are enrolled for Classical Greek, so I can find out how many there are for my cohort (yr 12 2008).

Thanks

By the way, there are 5 students at All Saints Greek Orthodox Grammar who are doing Classical Greek, 3 are doing Extension.

HSC
Hi!

Yeah this is Steph from Greek Summer School!

The way to find out how many is in your cohort is to check the Board of Studies Website, however we only found out the amount of people in our cohort after we completed our preliminary course. (they only put the data up at the end of the year)

Otherwise your teacher may be in contact with Greek teachers from other schools...I know one of mine certainly is and I could try and get them to find out somehow...

Meanwhile I know this isn't much help in retrospect, but there are 2 girls from Pymble Ladies' College that are completing the yr11 Preliminary Classical Greek Continuers course.

Thank you so much for your info too!

I hope this helps and you're enjoying Greek so far!

HSC
I know no one ever looks in here, but the MALS Winter School's being held from 2nd-6th of July and the Advanced Classical Greek Course is doing Thucy Book 2 (great unseen revision for HSC)...it's only from 9:30am-12:45pm so it won't interupt trial studying...yay!

You can get applications here:

http://www.anchist.mq.edu.au/doccentre/MALS.htm

Hope to see people from Summer School! ^_^

HSC
Hi you.

I've joined like you wanted XD.

Mygoodness, so many painful emotes. Good representation for all school-related feelings.

So I guess Greekies don't tend to visit here?

HSC
Apparently! Oh well, I'm not *that* scary am I? XD

Oh well we can spam it up! I'm glad you came to visit Miss Ki! Make sure you pop into the Latino Roman thread too...

I think all the Classical Greek Fellow Nerdies have disappeared...or they all dropped! XD XD XD

anthropoestin

HSC
I do Classical Greek!

I didn't see this page before...could we take it out of LOTE and under Languages?? That would it would be easier seen...

Are there realy 17 of us? That's more than I though there would be. I'm doing it in 2007 as well...have you finished both texts? I'm still going on the Euripides....

WB! What unseens are you doing??

HSC
It would probably, but I dunno how to do that! XD

Apparently there's more than 17 according to my teacher, but that's what I got of the bored of studies last year!

You go to shore right!? I know you're in yr 11, but there's one in year 12 right too!?

We've only finished Homer, but we're really close with Euripides and also quite close with Thucy.

Been doing lots of random unseens really, we translated a good chunk of Thucy Book 7 at winter school so that was good practice. Our cohort is still hating the vocab muchly. It's hard to retain, but we're overcoming that.

The PLC Greek-cohort would like to organise a study day at some point because not only do we think it would be very useful to talk about our texts and what not, but we're interested in meeting the rest of the cohort as well, since we're such a small group. This study day will hopefully be next term and sometime after trials. We've just got to ask our Greek teachers to help us get in touch with other Greek-doing schools (since no one really comes on here).

anthropoestin

HSC
more than 17? wow!

SHORE doesn't normally do Greek, I'm the first in some 30 yrs, and all alone lol. My teacher and I started with Thucydides which we've finished - you use the orange Cambell book?? And now we're half way through the Euripides. I'm thinking of doing extension nex year, though I should have done it this year which was a mistake seeming I'm cramming vocab anyway!

Yeah vocab is rather difficult........could you send me the most rescent unseen you've done - it's diffcult in a class of one to know how well you're going!

There is definately going to be a Greek study day. It is being organised by Sydney Grammar and will be in september after the trials some time. The last rumour was the 20th September, though it is all yet to be confirmed.

If there is only 17 of us though, we could try and make a meeting with as many as possible. I reckon I could get in contact with the grammar guys. What other schools do it? Abotsleigh?? I suppose Syd. Girls and Syd Boys High Def do...it would be good to get together, don't you think??

HSC
:D Awesome.

Abbotsleigh doesn't do it.
Hmm...North Sydney Boys, that-greek-school-which-i-forget-the-name-of-(help steph?)...
I make things up :3
We can always ask Dr Matters :/

Last edited:
HSC
I don't know, but you'd think the bored of studies would be right over teacher. So I'm sticking with 17.

Oh really!? Wow, yeah because we asked some SHORE guys at Latin Study day if there was anyone doing Greek and they said one so we thought it was someone in our grade, no way you're the only one!!! Just asking because I saw someone at Greek Summer School back in Jan who I knew from primary school who's at Shore and I was trying to work out if he did greek or not...either way the Shore guys who told us about the sole greek candidate said he was very good, so that must be you! *ish scared*

I'd have to scan them in and I dunno if I can find where I've put them, but go to Perseus.tufts (google this) click on classics and then texts and you can get access to all our authors texts and stuff in Greek, and just grab stuff out of that. Try some Thucy Book 7.

Yeah vocab's a bitch and since the three of us have always been lazy when it comes to vocab, we haven't been disciplined in retaining it.

I love Grammar more and more! Good on them!

Um other schools, so far it's definitely:
PLC Pymble (that's me and two others)
Sydney Grammar (4 of them)
SHORE (you)
Sydney Boys (1)
Trinity (I'm pretty sure)
All Saints Grammar (5, I think?)

(not abbotsleigh and not syd girls either, but would Newington and Riverview do it, and maybe a Meriden or something???)

But anyway, it would be great if you know how to get in contact with people! But yeah there's potential to have a great day or whatever!

HSC
That's right, they did, didn't they D:
Say you were fantastic, that is.
Then we ran away XD.

I've found winter school meant vocab knowledge went up (though it's still terrible). So that's good :3

HSC
None at North Sydney Boys...that's why our Greek teacher left (they axed it T_T) and why I couldn't force my brother to do Greek. >.>

HSC
Ah that's right XDD.
I'm hopeless. (& getting confused with interviewer who did greek and went to NSB).
And we're stealing their teachers 0:)

anthropoestin

HSC
Ahaha that's funny, you must have met Jo and Chow. Jo has very very blond hair and is quite wordy and Chow is a mathematically inclined asian genius, and there's some others too. But no, not fantastic, just empassioned (?)

I wish I could have made this winter school, it sounded like great revision! What did you guys do there, a lot of Thucydides 7 it sounds like?

Meriden might have someone...there was one person - Katherine - who did it there last year and topped both cont. and ext greek who've I made contact with so.........there might be another??

I know Perseus, it's great hey? Amazing how big it is....

What are your thoughts on sharing notes?

HSC
I don't remember how they looked XD. I think we just heard "he's a freak at it" or something similar and panicked and ran for it :p

Perseus is love. Especially when Electra isn't making very much sense.

Sounds good :D. (Only we don't have huge amounts of notes other than the book. Perhaps essay questions and responses and things like that would be more useful?)

And yes, there was a looooooooot of Thucy 7. Took a while to get out of Syracuse and back to Pylos and Sphacteria once it was over @.@

Last edited:

anthropoestin

HSC
Yeah good idea...for example i have an essay due back day one for electra:

"Analyse the way in which Euripides portrays the character of Electra. What values does she hold? Are her actions heroic?"

Does your teacher give you unseens...or have you been using a book?
I think we sometimes get very hung up on unseens...maybe i should spend more time on essays..........

How do you guys go through the texts? Do you translate in class with your teacher, or do you do some at home then bring it in?

HSC
Awesome :D

We have a booklet our teacher made us of unseens. On the front is a Greek vase picture with the caption "Come on Myrrhine, an unseen's much more fun than shopping!" It scares me :(

For the last assessment, we had these two (the only ones we've had so far);

"Thucydides' greatest strength lies in his ability to analyse the motives which influence action." Discuss with reference to Book 4.

and

"In Euripides' play both Orestes and Electra are far from heroic." (Vellacot) To what extent do you agree with this assessment of the characters in the play?

We're supposed to prepare beforehand, but for Thucy it hasn't happened yet (though winter school means i've prepared almost to the end!) and we tend to for Electra. Our teacher threatens to stop teaching if we don't.

Hmm. It's good to get hung up over unseens. We met one of the markers at the winter school (he's also the only uh...I forget the word...chooses which papers are better type thing). He said to do as many unseens as possible, because they're the main discriminator. D:
We're hopeless at unseens.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)