Indonesian Thread for 2009 (1 Viewer)

Skizzors

HSC
Is there anyone doing Indonesian this year? How are you finding it?

gabby r

HSC
Hi im doing indo this year. Finding it fairly good. How about you?
All prepared for speaking in August?

Skizzors

HSC
I love it most days. Not so much today actually, I just did fairly badly in a writing assessment.

As for August, are you doing Ext as well? They are one week apart! I am a bit worried about that.

jaakeh

HSC
Yeahhhh Indo. I'm doing it through Open High School, its pretty good. Definitely not prepared for the speaking so soon though ahhh

Skizzors

HSC
How many people do you have in your classes? Obviously excluding Open High. How is that by the way? Is it hard to be dedicated?

jaakeh

HSC
Yeah I guess it is. There are usually some fairly big gaps between sending in work. I'm curious to know why everyone else chose Indonesian, excluding people with Indonesian backgrounds. Was it just something you were good at, or do you plan on studying the language further / living there after school?

Skizzors

HSC
I decided that it was easy in year 7 and then just never dropped it. In year 9 and 10 we had a class of 8 and I really enjoyed it so decided to hang around. Ended up doing 3 units of it. Are you doing ext too? How are you finding Untuk Rena?

Why did you do it?

jaakeh

HSC
Yeah I just chose it because it was something I could do until about year 9, but around year 10 it developed into a real interest. I want to live there next year hopefully, if all goes to plan. I didn't end up doing extension, but I've seen Untuk Rena before. Kind of regret it but oh well. Is it difficult?

Skizzors

HSC
I love extension. Maybe I am weird because I do, but Continuers is like learning the vocab, and a bit about the culture and extension is like actually using that information. I am sick of Untuk Rena though, seen it like a billion times, plus have it on my ipod. You know how most people say they can recite a film, and usually they are exaggerating? I'm not. I have seen it way too many times.

So what is your weak spot? Writing, reading, speaking, listening? Or are you awesome enough not to have one?

That is so cool, actually getting to use it. I wish I was. So are you going to get a job there or do what?

jaakeh

HSC
Ahh not quite. I'm pretty rubbish at listening, and don't like speaking in test conditions. Get really nervous most of the time. How about you?

It sounds pretty good from what I've heard, but I can imagine that watching Untuk Rena over and over again would get a bit tedious. Woah on your ipod, pretty keen haha. It'd be a shame for you not to use it after you leave school, do you ever plan on going over there?

Oh and by saying 'if all goes to plan', I don't really mean that I have a plan, even though it kind of implies it hahah. But yeah the 'plan' so far is just that I'm going there next year, not sure at the moment whether I'll save up money then travel or go and work there, volunteer etc. Can't wait until the HSC is over ahhhh

Skizzors

HSC
Oh, I thought that was kinda awesome, doing it because it was part of a plan. Yeah, I neglected to say that I have been over there 6 or so times. So yes, I do use it, and I do want to go back, so I will use it again. Tetapi saya kekurangan uang tahun ini. Mungkin saya akan mengadakan perjalanan ke Indonesia sesudah tamat universitas. Sebenarnya, saya belum seratus persen pasti.

We have done so many damn listenings this year (because it was our worst skill) and now I am okay with them. I get really quiet in speakings, which is really annoying. At the moment writing is my worst, because I get caught up in tangents. What is your average mark for past HSC listenings and writings? I never know if my class is behind or in front, if that makes any sense.

Yeah, I agree. I can't wait for the hsc to be over but I don't want to do the exams either.

jaakeh

HSC
Oh begitu? Ke mana? Ya, khususnya akhir-akhir ini saya kurang pasti kalau saya mau kuliah tahun depan, tetapi sudah lama Indonesia adalah tempat yang saya mau kunjungi jadi saya pikir lebih penting untuk ke sana sebelum saya lupa bahasanya. Mudah-mudahan saya bisa kuliah sesudah saya kembali...

Well we don't really do many to be honest, but for the listening I assure you whatever your class is getting would be better. I think we did one at a face-to-face lesson and I don't remember it going well. The majority of the listening stuff we do is set by the open high school. I think its about on par with the hsc ones, so around the 50s-60s. I tend to go better in writing and I think the other kid in my class does too, we get similar marks. The teacer usually gives me band fives but lately shes started to give me band sixes which is encouraging, as hopefully it'll make up for my rubbish listening mark. Trials next monday uhhhhh.... How about your's?

Skizzors

HSC
We don't have our trials until week 4 next term. I think that Indonesian speaking trials are week 1 so that we have the time to prepare for the ridiculously early speakings.

That makes me feel a lot better actually because I have a friend who is doing Italian and they occasionally get full marks. I never get full marks for listenings so I was a bit worried.

Saya harus kuliah tahun depan, tetapi sekarang saya mau beristirahat saja. Tidak apa apa, ada tetap liburan sesudah ujian besar. Ke mana, saya kurang pasti tetapi saya sudah mengunjungi pulau Bali, Jawa dan Borneo. Anda mau kuliah di fakultas apa?

Okay, what is your favourite phrase in Indo? Just because it is nice, or because you use it all of the time or because you just like what it means/sounds like.

Sorry, kind of a weird question.

jaakeh

HSC
Saya ingin masuk fakultas ilmu pengetahuan tetapi kurang pasti sekarang, tergantung pada ATAR saya. Dan kamu?

Favourite phrase? Ummmm I'm not sure ahah. I usually just stick to whats relevant and don't elaborate too much, which is a major weakness for me, but I guess I stick to a certain pattern with a lot of things, makin... makin... etc. But yeah, I'm not sure which one I would call my favourite. A lot of phrases that I like I tend to overuse pretty fast. Maybe I'll think of one... What's yours?

abbylee

HSC
im hating extension right now... and my trials today

eilys close

HSC
For me, it's keeping to the right register. I am forever having to stop myself from saying "Aku" in front of the teacher. That's because part of my study technique includes reading Twilight or Harry Potter in Bahasa (I got them in Bali, and we have the whole Twilight series in our library) which is SO useful. I suggest it, I really do, even if your weakness is speaking because there are phrases in there that you learn and so your speaking isn't like a stream of facts, but more like a real conversation.

Tetapi saya kekurangan uang tahun ini.

Not to be on your back, but I think that's wrong. The suffix -an makes it a noun, so you wrote "But I The lack of money this year". I'm only a year 11 so if it's something we haven't learnt yet, sorry!

Semoga sukses untuk ujian HSCmu!

Skizzors

HSC
Not to be on your back, but I think that's wrong. The suffix -an makes it a noun, so you wrote "But I The lack of money this year".

Ke-an has two uses. The first one, you are correct, is an abstract noun, examples being kecepatan, keindahan, kebersihan, kesehatan, kegagalan etc.

However, Ke-an is also an accidental, involuntary and non deliberate action, thus a verb. Examples of this include kehujanan, kehilangan, kehabisan.

So, an example is saya kehabisan uang. I have (accidentally) ran out of money.

Good luck with year 11 :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)