Farm Product Study: Milk (1 Viewer)

Clairedy_Kat92

HSC
Ok so the second question is really confusing me!
It goes something like:
Describe the interactions between farm, market and consumer.

Any help? I dont understand it. I got some notes, but I'd really like to understand what its asking me.

MrsA

HSC
N/A
I am not really sure what you are referring to as the 'second question'.
I am assuming this is from your school program or questions set by your teacher. Each school has a different teaching program that is based on the Board of Studies syllabus (see http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/).

The likely syllabus points that this relates to is from the product study section:

Students learn about: The place of the farm in the wider agribusiness sector
Students learn to: Outline the importance of farms in the wider agribusiness sector of the Australian economy
If you are in a det (government) school you can use your det password to access the secondary section of the TaLe website. Search for HSC agriculture and look in Part 1 of the Milk Marketing and Production section to find some information to help you cover this outcome.

I think that you are having trouble with this question because it has three aspects that you have to relate together. If you have any question where it gets this complex you should try to break it down into more manageable parts and look at each part on its own. If you are a more visual learner you could also put this together as a diagram, a bit like a systems diagram, with arrows to show the interactions between the different parts. Another problem with this might be that there is no real definition of what is meant by the term market. In this context I am assuming this is the retail market.

Interactions between the farm and the market
The most important interaction here is that the farm is supplying agricultural product to the market.
You also have feedback from the market to the farm. This might be in the form of a formal report on nquality and quantity, or for some products might be simply the amount or type of product sold. If the farm manager has personal contact with the market there might be verbal feedback.

Interactions between the market and the consumer
The market supplies product to the consumer. The market can influence the consumer by pricing the product and supplying advertising materials eg point of sale posters, recipe cards.
The consumer provides feedback to the market by purchasing the product. They can also provide verbal feedback or participate in more formal market evaluation surveys.

Interactions between Farm and consumer
This interaction used to be quite rare, with the farmer and consumer separated by a string of middlemen. With farmers markets and more direct selling it has become more common as the farmer and consumer can speak directly. Increasingly consumers are also interested in food provenance (knowing exactly where it came from) so there is a trend to provide bios with agricultural products at sale. This means the food is labelled with information about the farm that it came from. (This can also be online.) This provides information to the consumer and they can use it to make a choice about their purchase.

I hope this helps! If I have it wrong let me know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)