abc conjecture proved? (1 Viewer)

deswa1

HSC
Ok I can't follow anything those papers are saying but I googled abc conjecture and that would be heaps cool/impressive if he got a proof for it.

I still don't get though how people can get 500 page proofs- its actually amazing. I was proud of myself when I proved the AM-GM inequality in a 4U paper and that took just over a page lol.

barbernator

HSC
The one thing i got out of these documents is that S.Mochizuki can lift. so dont ask him if he even lifts, because he obviously can.

"[CanLift] S. Mochizuki, The Absolute Anabelian Geometry of Canonical Curves, Kazuya
Kato’s fiftieth birthday, Doc. Math. 2003, Extra Vol., pp. 609-640."

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Ok I can't follow anything those papers are saying but I googled abc conjecture and that would be heaps cool/impressive if he got a proof for it.

I still don't get though how people can get 500 page proofs- its actually amazing. I was proud of myself when I proved the AM-GM inequality in a 4U paper and that took just over a page lol.
You can prove the AM-GM inequality in a couple of lines using circle geometry.

deswa1

HSC
You can prove the AM-GM inequality in a couple of lines using circle geometry.
Really? Can you show me- this would actually be fascinating.

Nah unfortunately though I had to do the question that way- it had a hence bit etc. (though I don't know of any other way to do it)

bleakarcher

HSC

Nah unfortunately though I had to do the question that way- it had a hence bit etc. (though I don't know of any other way to do it)
Isn't this in Q8 of a hsc paper before 2000?

deswa1

HSC
Isn't this in Q8 of a hsc paper before 2000?
Yeah 1998 from memory. It was also in Syd Grammar 2003 (different proof) and one other paper which is the one I'm referring to (forgot which one though)

seanieg89

HSC
You just prove:

That is not the general AM-GM. And there is a good reason why mathematicians don't like to use geometry to prove things like AM-GM, it turns out geometry is much harder to axiomatise.

RealiseNothing

HSC

RealiseNothing

HSC
That is not the general AM-GM. And there is a good reason why mathematicians don't like to use geometry to prove things like AM-GM, it turns out geometry is much harder to axiomatise.
I find it to be a cool little proof for that case though.

deswa1

HSC
That's fairly neat actually- I like it :)

What I was referring to is the general AM-GM. Can that be done with circle geo? You can prove the case for n=2 in two lines starting with (root a-rootb)^2 is greater than or equal to zero

seanieg89

HSC
That's fairly neat actually- I like it :)

What I was referring to is the general AM-GM. Can that be done with circle geo? You can prove the case for n=2 in two lines starting with (root a-rootb)^2 is greater than or equal to zero
Well the n=2 case is enough to kickstart an induction, but I don't know if you would call that a circle geometry proof then.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
But cant we just do this for AM-GM (my knowledge of this inequality is a 2 min google search and I found that it is an inequality)

Is this not axiomatic enough?

(Im missing something I think)

deswa1

HSC
But cant we just do this for AM-GM (my knowledge of this is a 2 min google search and I found that it is an inequality)

Yeah this is the standard proof for n=2 (I think I posted that a few posts up). Its harder to prove it more generally.

bleakarcher

HSC
But cant we just do this for AM-GM (my knowledge of this inequality is a 2 min google search and I found that it is an inequality)

We are talking about the general form of the inequality.

Edit: Damnit deswa

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)