And hence solve:
zx+y=2
x+zy=3
x+y=z+1

Can't draw the link between the statements. All I get is this:

leehuan

HSC
Also for some reason I can't get the right things going on for this one

I got this determinant. Did I make a mistake cause I'm not too sure how the gradient formula ties with it as I end up with something containing in the form xiyi when doing gradients.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Also for some reason I can't get the right things going on for this one

I got this determinant. Did I make a mistake cause I'm not too sure how the gradient formula ties with it as I end up with something containing in the form xiyi when doing gradients.

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Incidentally, that determinant is twice the (signed) area of the triangle formed by the three points A, B, C. Knowledge of this determinant formula for triangle areas makes some HSC conics Q's really easy to do (the ones like 'show the area is independent of theta' etc.).

leehuan

HSC
Oh wow that's quite some thing, I did consider vectorial methods and the scalar multiple but I completely missed the benefit of doing a row reduction here. (Also I'm assuming the third column having 1 entries and not 0 for R2 and R3 was an accident.)

Ok next part I have no idea where to start. Which trapezia?

"Now suppose that A, B, C are not collinear. By considering the areas of some trapezia (or otherwise), show that the area of the triangle with vertices A,B,C is given by |D| where...

2D = det. (same matrix)"

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
(Also I'm assuming the third column having 1 entries and not 0 for R2 and R3 was an accident.)
Oh yes, that was a typo (I copy-pasted your determinant but forgot to change those last entries). I'll fix it up.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Oh wow that's quite some thing, I did consider vectorial methods and the scalar multiple but I completely missed the benefit of doing a row reduction here. (Also I'm assuming the third column having 1 entries and not 0 for R2 and R3 was an accident.)

Ok next part I have no idea where to start. Which trapezia?

"Now suppose that A, B, C are not collinear. By considering the areas of some trapezia (or otherwise), show that the area of the triangle with vertices A,B,C is given by |D| where...

2D = det. (same matrix)"
OK This one they basically want us to prove what I said about the determinant being (twice the) the triangle area (signed). A proof of this may be found here: https://people.richland.edu/james/lecture/m116/matrices/area.html .

Here's a proof using trapezia: http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/55063.html .

Last edited:

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
Incidentally, that determinant is twice the (signed) area of the triangle formed by the three points A, B, C. Knowledge of this determinant formula for triangle areas makes some HSC conics Q's really easy to do (the ones like 'show the area is independent of theta' etc.).
That totally reminds me, do you happen to know if the use of matrices is allowed in 4U HSC exams? I couldn't find anything about it online.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
That totally reminds me, do you happen to know if the use of matrices is allowed in 4U HSC exams? I couldn't find anything about it online.
Not really sure. I might have a search later about it. Someone used it last year I remember reading on the 2015 HSC 4U Exam Thoughts thread for a Q. about showing area independent of theta. I'm pretty sure they'll know what you're doing if you use determinants at least, (unlike some school teachers who may not know, like I read on a thread once someone used it in a school exam and got 0). But yeah, not sure if it's allowed.

Edit: Found the post about the person who lost marks in a school assessment for using determinants: http://community.boredofstudies.org...-hsc/285064/scabbing-marks-2.html#post5925818 . (Rereading that, I see that the person actually ended up getting the marks for it, by showing the Maths Head Teacher his Algebra textbook.)

I probably would only keep determinants as a last-resort method in the HSC unless you can get confirmation that it's allowed.

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC
I probably would only keep determinants as a last-resort method in the HSC unless you can get confirmation that it's allowed.
Probably tremendously unlikely.

Though I honestly wonder, if some people want to show how capable they are at maths and use beyond HSC stuff why not just have taken the action sooner and transferred to an IB school?

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
Probably tremendously unlikely.

Though I honestly wonder, if some people want to show how capable they are at maths and use beyond HSC stuff why not just have taken the action sooner and transferred to an IB school?
distance, probably.

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
You have to stay within the syllabus.
Not really sure. I might have a search later about it. Someone used it last year I remember reading on the 2015 HSC 4U Exam Thoughts thread for a Q. about showing area independent of theta. I'm pretty sure they'll know what you're doing if you use determinants at least, (unlike some school teachers who may not know, like I read on a thread once someone used it in a school exam and got 0). But yeah, not sure if it's allowed.

Edit: Found the post about the person who lost marks in a school assessment for using determinants: http://community.boredofstudies.org...-hsc/285064/scabbing-marks-2.html#post5925818 . (Rereading that, I see that the person actually ended up getting the marks for it, by showing the Maths Head Teacher his Algebra textbook.)

I messaged my maths teacher last night, and she told me that matrices are allowed in 4U as far as she knows. I'll probably still call someone up at BOSTES to be sure, but it seems like a 'yes'. :p

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
I messaged my maths teacher last night, and she told me that matrices are allowed in 4U as far as she knows. I'll probably still call someone up at BOSTES to be sure, but it seems like a 'yes'. :p
Use the determinant to show X is true for scenario Y of conical section Z

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Definitely check with BOSTES because from all accounts I've heard it's a no.

But I did do my HSC 3 years ago so maybe it's changed, who knows.

leehuan

HSC
So far in the course all they say is if det = 0 then matrix is not invertible.

What does the magnitude of the determinant tell us otherwise?

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
So far in the course all they say is if det = 0 then matrix is not invertible.

What does the magnitude of the determinant tell us otherwise?
The determinant of it basically is the product of all the eigenvalues. (Eigenvalues are useful, because using them we can "diagonalise" matrices which are easily to compute for application purposes). I cannot remember much more about it.

The determinant being zero, means that the matrix is non-invertible, and that if we consider the matrix as representing a space of vectors (it is called the column space R(A)), it tells us that one of the vectors is a multiple of another and is called linearly dependent.

For multivariable calculus, the determinant of the derivative matrix (called the Jacobian) is useful in telling us the existence of a local inverse function for a function in Euclidean space (by what is called the inverse function theorem); and is also useful when integrating by substitution, integrals over regions, lines (contour integrals); involving multiple integrals and variables.

I'll see if I can find an example.

For example:

which can be evaluated using the substitution.

The general formula is

===
Also two similar matrices have the same determinant.
where A is similar to B if:

Similar matrices can be used to represent the same linear mapping/operator L on a given vector space V.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)