UNSW Maths Comp (NOT ICAS!) Tips and Advice Needed (1 Viewer)

Sunnyindahouz

HSC
Hi,
I'm gonna be doing the UNSW Maths Comp (this is not ICAS) in about a week from now, and I realise that it's really hard. For those out there who know what I'm talking about and have done it before (and preferably have aced it), does anyone have any useful tips/advice that would help me get through this w/o failing? E.g. what to put in the notes that I can take to the comp, how to tackle specific types of questions, etc. Anything besides going through the past papers on their website, because I have already been made aware of that. :smile:
Yeh, thanks.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
I literally only did the past papers the night before to get used to the style of questions. That's all the prep I did. I had practice with those style of questions from the BOS 4U marathon though too.

Got HD and top 10 in my year group, it's all about practice.

Sunnyindahouz

HSC
I literally only did the past papers the night before to get used to the style of questions. That's all the prep I did. I had practice with those style of questions from the BOS 4U marathon though too.

Got HD and top 10 in my year group, it's all about practice.
Thanks, mate. :) Good job on that!
How do you join the 4U Marathon?

seanieg89

HSC
The UNSW contest could be regarded as one of the easier olympiad style contests.

http://webee.technion.ac.il/people/aditya/www.kalva.demon.co.uk/ has a ton of past questions from various olympiads. (Aim for national rather than regional/international ones unless you are feeling pretty confident. As a starting point, I reckon the Canadian ones are on the easier end of the spectrum. Older ones also tend to be easier. Keep in mind that most of the UNSW contest will be easier than most of the questions you see here.)

www.artofproblemsolving.com/ is also a pretty great resource with tons of questions and discussions on it for all different levels.

There are some good questions here on BoS too, but they aren't very well organised / the quality of questions is inconsistent / most do not particularly closely resemble contest mathematics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)