Introductory Probability (1 Viewer)

leehuan

HSC
Feeling like I may have unnecessarily overcomplicated this question just to get the right answer. Would appreciate advice on if there is a shorter method. (I think I am required to use set notation.)

Answer:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Feeling like I may have unnecessarily overcomplicated this question just to get the right answer. Would appreciate advice on if there is a shorter method. (I think I am required to use set notation.)

Answer:

You can also try a Venn Diagram approach. (Since there are only three sets here, it's easy to draw the diagram. If there are more, it gets harder to draw.)

Also you can use the inclusion-exclusion formula early on (I think you essentially derived it). For three sets, it is

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC

Conditional probaility, but I am clueless here because I have no idea how to combine the two seperate cases of a red ball being transferred, or a black ball being transferred

Probably not useful part a) P(Red (without moving balls)) = 19/45

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Conditional probaility, but I am clueless here because I have no idea how to combine the two seperate cases of a red ball being transferred, or a black ball being transferred

Let B1 be the event that a black ball was transferred from Urn 1 to Urn 2. Let R1 be a similar event for red (red transferred from Urn 1 to Urn 2).

Let B2 and R2 respectively be the events that black and red are drawn from Urn 2 after the transfer from Urn 1 has happened.

We want to find Pr(R2).

By the law of total probability,

Pr(R2) = Pr(R2 | B1)*Pr(B1) + Pr(R2 | R1)*Pr(R1) (this is valid since R1 and B1 are complementary events).

Now, Pr(R2 | B1) = 4/10, Pr(B1) = 3/5, Pr(R2 | R1) = 5/10 and Pr(R1) = 2/5 (for the conditional probabilities, we just find probabilities assuming we know which ball got transferred. So for example, Pr(R2 | B1) = 4/10, because given we know a black ball was transferred from Urn 1 to Urn 2, there'll be 10 balls in Urn 2 and 4 of them red, so 4/10).

Plugging these into the above equation yields the answer.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

This is my way of doing it, I used the tree diagrams.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

Do you mind if you posted the question for Part (a) up........?

leehuan

HSC
Part a) was just

"If an urn is randomly selected and a ball drawn at random from it. what is the probability that it is red?"

P(Red) = P(Red n Urn 1) + P(Red n Urn 2) = rewrite as conditional probability * P(Urn) = (2/5)(1/2) + (4/9)(1/2)

leehuan

HSC
I don't know what I'm finding. (I think I'm just having hard times today trying to understand the question.)

Deduced earlier:
P(M)=72/100, P(U)=44/100
P(M|U)=1/2
P(MnU) = 1/2 * 44/100 = 22/100

P(MCnUC/sup])=3/50 from part (a)

The answer is also 1/2 which made me contemplate P(M|U) + P(M|UC) = 1 may be how to go about it but I can't justify why

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
I don't know what I'm finding. (I think I'm just having hard times today trying to understand the question.)

Deduced earlier:
P(M)=72/100, P(U)=44/100
P(M|U)=1/2
P(MnU) = 1/2 * 44/100 = 22/100

P(MCnUC/sup])=3/50 from part (a)

The answer is also 1/2 which made me contemplate P(M|U) + P(M|UC) = 1 may be how to go about it but I can't justify why

I just simply look at the intersection of Married and not a University graduate region and divide it by the total population. Here is my diagram below:

leehuan

HSC
At the start I actually thought I was finding P(MnUC) but then I realised I had no idea how to actually get there. Now I realise it's the simple P(M) - P(MnU)

Reckon I should just keep drawing Venn diagrams till this stuff becomes intuitive? Lol

Last edited:

seanieg89

HSC
At the start I actually thought I was finding P(MnUC) but then I realised I had no idea how to actually get there. Now I realise it's the simple P(M) - P(MnU)

Reckon I should just keep drawing Venn diagrams till this stuff becomes intuitive? Lol
Don't rely too much on them, unless you have a handy supply of higher dimensional paper for when there are more than three sets.

Way more important to just internalise how things like taking complements interacts with unions and intersections of sets (from a mathematical point of view outside of combinatorics as well you absolutely need to know this).

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Tree diagrams, Venn Diagrams and Tables are the best way to learn probability. (I've always been a visualiser, some of the students who I have tutored at unis like it when I present them with diagrams)

I thought it was covered pretty rigorously in HSC Maths Extension 1 and from what I gather in more advanced levels in Extension 2.

leehuan

HSC
Internet is too hard to understand. So just a quick startup on the inductive step please?

Because I only know how to split up AuC, not AnC

Last edited:

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
Don't rely too much on them, unless you have a handy supply of higher dimensional paper for when there are more than three sets.

Way more important to just internalise how things like taking complements interacts with unions and intersections of sets (from a mathematical point of view outside of combinatorics as well you absolutely need to know this).
I have a method that can enclose any number of sets...

It simply requires a sufficiently large sheet of paper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)