Discrete random variables (1 Viewer)

leehuan

HSC
Trying to calculate the variance of the uniform distribution and I don't know what the trick is to simplify the horrible looking sum

edit: wait I just realised I forgot something elementary...

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC
Question out of interest

Just like how you can call the Poisson distribution a limit of the binomial distribution, would you be able to say that the geometric distribution is just the binomial distribution for n=1

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Question out of interest

Just like how you can call the Poisson distribution a limit of the binomial distribution, would you be able to say that the geometric distribution is just the binomial distribution for n=1
The Bernoulli distribution is the binomial distribution with n = 1. In fact, a Bin(n,p) random variable is just a sum of n i.i.d. (independent and identically distributed) Bern(p) (Bernoulli with parameter p) random variables.

The geometric distribution can be considered a special case of the negative binomial distribution with r = 1 (or r = something else, depending on what convention is used).

Negative binomial distribution: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_binomial_distribution.

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC
Ahh right

EDIT Wow I am an idiot.. a "proportion"... (their final answer wanted alpha*n in the place of alpha basically)

(Ignore the alpha^2 bit for now)

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Ahh right

I'm doing something wrong.

(Ignore the alpha^2 bit for now)

What you are calculating is the probability that X ≤ alpha, but we need the probability that the proportion is less than or equal to alpha (whereas X is the number).

leehuan

HSC
Hey, whatever happened to the statistics marathon thing?

leehuan

HSC

Basically the classic HSC greatest coefficient but I've forgotten how to do simple arithmetic tonight.

leehuan

HSC
Never made a thread for approximations so I'll throw this question in this thread...

leehuan

HSC
I don't believe it matters whether you have a discrete or continuous random variable so I'm randomly chucking it in this thread, but can I please have a proper example on what statistical independence is?

Like I get that Pr(A∩B) = Pr(A)Pr(B) for statistical independence but I kinda roted it, and don't fully understand it.

Which is why whilst I somewhat get this, I don't fully get it:

Also can I have a brief refresher on why expectation is linear again? Can I just argue that because summation/integration is linear?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I don't believe it matters whether you have a discrete or continuous random variable so I'm randomly chucking it in this thread, but can I please have a proper example on what statistical independence is?

Like I get that Pr(A∩B) = Pr(A)Pr(B) for statistical independence but I kinda roted it, and don't fully understand it.

Which is why whilst I somewhat get this, I don't fully get it:

Also can I have a brief refresher on why expectation is linear again? Can I just argue that because summation/integration is linear?

https://proofwiki.org/wiki/Condition_for_Independence_from_Product_of_Expectations

https://proofwiki.org/wiki/Linearity_of_Expectation_Function

http://math.stackexchange.com/quest...r-under-what-conditions-is-median-also-a-line .

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC
Is there some way that conditional probability is supposed to work with random variables?

And then I got lost.

Possibly useful: My textbook (Pg 3 & Pg 14) had an example where instead they used expectation. But they actually started counting at age 0, and I have to start counting at age 10 so I wasn't sure how to use expectation here.

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Is there some way that conditional probability is supposed to work with random variables?

And then I got lost.

Possibly useful: My textbook (Pg 3 & Pg 14) had an example where instead they used expectation. But they actually started counting at age 0, and I have to start counting at age 10 so I wasn't sure how to use expectation here.
I think you would need to make an assumption about what the oldest possible age is, e.g. 100 years (or call it N years or something), because that'd clearly affect the answer.

Also, Pr(X > 10 | X = 10) is 0, so I think you meant something else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)