MATH2111 Higher Several Variable Calculus (1 Viewer)

leehuan

HSC
Is there a higher dimensional implicit differentiation hax (sorry I'm doing maths whilst being a bit hyper) to get me a shortcut for this question

Or should I just chain rule it because z = +'ve sqrt(...)

Last edited by a moderator:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Re: Multivariable Calculus

Is there a higher dimensional implicit differentiation hax (sorry I'm doing maths whilst being a bit hyper) to get me a shortcut for this question

Or should I just chain rule it because z = +'ve sqrt(...)

Last edited:

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC

I was kind of hoping InteGrand would use the word 'hax' ahahah

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC

We were probably on our way to it now that I think about it... Thus far he's only mentioned that there's multiple chain rules but not exactly what they are yet...

Edit: Ok yep looking at the lecture slides it seems like they were to come. Ahh thanks though

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad

We were probably on our way to it now that I think about it... Thus far he's only mentioned that there's multiple chain rules but not exactly what they are yet...

Edit: Ok yep looking at the lecture slides it seems like they were to come. Ahh thanks though
Aah, the good old chain rule. I have a whole subject of Multivariable calculus this session (UOW for the win). And basically the chain rule reduces down in some measure to matrix multiplication which is pretty cool.

leehuan

HSC

Aah, the good old chain rule. I have a whole subject of Multivariable calculus this session (UOW for the win). And basically the chain rule reduces down in some measure to matrix multiplication which is pretty cool.
Saw it in my lecture slides as well, but again to come. Being taught it today.

seanieg89

HSC

Thus far he's only mentioned that there's multiple chain rules but not exactly what they are yet...
Perhaps in some notations it will seem that way, but they can be unified remarkably well once one learns to think of the derivative of a function f at a point p as nothing more than a linear map between the vector space of tangents at p and the vector space of tangents at f(p) (pretty much the most flexible and abstract way to think of the classical derivative).

What it then boils down to is that if we have two smooth functions and , then is smooth and .

seanieg89

HSC

(Where, X,Y,Z are open subsets of arbitrary dimension Euclidean spaces, or more generally of curves/surfaces/manifolds.)

Sidebar: Spivak has a less well known book "Calculus on Manifolds", that is amazing for learning multivariable calculus. From introducing partial derivatives and Riemann integration to differential forms and the modern version of Stokes theorem. It is quite compact and terse though and considerably less accessible than his "Calculus".

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC

Getting stuck on how to incorporate the 0.02 correctly

Progress so far:

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC

This thread may be packed with questions...cause my book doesn't give answers to almost anything. Sorry!

I did something like this and I'm not sure if I can break it down any further

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

This thread may be packed with questions...cause my book doesn't give answers to almost anything. Sorry!

I did something like this and I'm not sure if I can break it down any further

leehuan

HSC

Ah ok so you basically do leave it as is I see. So is this right...?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)