• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Research Project: Biopolymers (1 Viewer)

andyn

HSC
hey i'm doing this reasearch project on a biopolymer and i dunno which one is better to do the project on. 'Better" as in the ease of finding info on it....

• Polyhydroxybutyrate (PHB)
  • polylactic acid (PLA)
  • Cyclodextrins(CD)

Last edited:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Some text books (IIRC CCHSC) uses butanoate. I think the systematic name for PHB should be butanoate.

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
NO NO!!
DO PLA!!;)

It has so many uses and recent innovations and it's really interesting. [used in textiles, cars, computers, tvs, plastic surgery, tupperware, pots, cutlery...]

"Ease" in terms of finding info from textbooks would probably be PHB though; but on the net I'm not sure.

:):)

euro-dragon

Im a LolOsaUR Hear Me Roa
HSC
:karate: oo i remember this assignment...go for the polyhydroxybutyrate..i found theres a lot more to talk about and its quiet interesting with the bacillus megaterium and alcagenis eutrophus

o.bi.sess

You feeling lucky, punk?
HSC
dr baby beanie said:
NO NO!!
DO PLA!!;)
It has so many uses and recent innovations and it's really interesting. [used in textiles, cars, computers, tvs, plastic surgery, tupperware, pots, cutlery...]

"Ease" in terms of finding info from textbooks would probably be PHB though; but on the net I'm not sure.

:):)
God, PLA information is a bitch to find anywhere, internet included. When we did our assignment, we didn't get a choice and the three week assignment turned into a massive hunting frenzy two days before the thing was due.

Although, if you do do PLA, it'll be viewed better since it's so current and everything. If you decide to do PLA and need information on PLA, I could try and dig up my assignment for you.

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
o.bi.sess said:
God, PLA information is a bitch to find anywhere, internet included. When we did our assignment, we didn't get a choice and the three week assignment turned into a massive hunting frenzy two days before the thing was due.

Although, if you do do PLA, it'll be viewed better since it's so current and everything. If you decide to do PLA and need information on PLA, I could try and dig up my assignment for you.
No way!! I found heaps and heaps!! Seriously, more than those doing PHB. We had an open book test, where you could take in an A4 page of info on our bioploymers and I had to use size 8 font! [chem nerd alert:shy::p]

o.bi.sess

You feeling lucky, punk?
HSC
dr baby beanie said:
No way!! I found heaps and heaps!! Seriously, more than those doing PHB. We had an open book test, where you could take in an A4 page of info on our bioploymers and I had to use size 8 font! [chem nerd alert]
Really? I'd shake my fist at your luckiness if I cbb (and if I was still doing the HSC, of course ;) )! And our teachers actually set out guidelines to what matieral we could bring into our open book tests. Ie, font no smaller than 12 pt, Times New Roman (if typed) only, no extended margins, etc., etc. x.X They got so strict because they were annoyed at people bringing in microscopic information on pages with 1/2mm margin on each side.

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
o.bi.sess said:
Really? I'd shake my fist at your luckiness if I cbb (and if I was still doing the HSC, of course ;) )! And our teachers actually set out guidelines to what matieral we could bring into our open book tests. Ie, font no smaller than 12 pt, Times New Roman (if typed) only, no extended margins, etc., etc. x.X They got so strict because they were annoyed at people bringing in microscopic information on pages with 1/2mm margin on each side.
:wave:
'Twas not luck my dear, it was pure effort, diligence, and perseverance... - I found PLA interesting okay:eek:, particularly its medical uses ie sutures and plastic surgery etc :shy:

Hahah, yeah, the only guideline was it could only be on one side A4 page. So, like you said; I resized the margins, wrote things in dot point form, taking out words that I didn't need ie "the" "and" "is" "it" etc in an effort to shorten it and changed the font size.

beentherdunthat

HSC
We used to do PHA. Which was polyhydroxyvalerate + polyhydroxybutanoate, and pha was a co-polymer.

I think phb might be easy to look up. :rolleyes:

o.bi.sess

You feeling lucky, punk?
HSC
dr baby beanie said:
:wave:
'Twas not luck my dear, it was pure effort, diligence, and perseverance... - I found PLA interesting okay:eek:, particularly its medical uses ie sutures and plastic surgery etc :shy:
I persevered... for maybe 20 minutes. :D And I have to give you the medical uses thing. That was cool, especially about how PLA is incorporated back into the body....:shy:

Edit: Spelling

andyn

HSC
thanks for ur replies i might choose PHB since you ppl say it is the easiest to find info on....

thanks again!

eriito

Elite Member
HSC
I'm doing PLA! Could I please read yours so I can see if there's anything I've missed? My assessment is due tomorrow along with in-class questions!! AHHH HELP ME PLEASE

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)