whats the difference between transuranic elements and radioisotopes?? (1 Viewer)

donthaveaname

HSC
N/A
hey can anyone help me with these two dotpoimts

Describe how transuranic elements are produced
Describe bow commercial radioisotopes are produced

whats the difference between these two, because aren't commercial radio isotopes transuranic elements, so wouldn't they be produced in the same way?

Also, in the eqn: 238/92 U + 1/0 n=239/92 U=239/93Np+ 0/-1e

Why does the uranium decay to Np, and when you are writing the eqn, how do you know if it will decay or not

Last edited:

icecoffee

HSC
Transuranic elements: synthetic elements with atomic number greater than 92, i.e. heavier than uranium.
Radioisotopes: isotopes with an unstable combination of protons and neutrons in the nucleus.
Isotopes of an element have the same atomic number but different mass numbers. They have the same chemical properties but slightly different weights.

I'm not so good at the production part ... just definitions. lol

dp624

HSC
production hmm
well transuranic elements can be produced by neutron bombardment in a nuclear reactor
e.g uranium + nuetron -> next one up + beta
or nuclei bombardment for heaver radioisotopes
e.g. alpha bombardments

for radioisotopes they're produced either neutron or nuclei bombardment. but they're different equations
e.g. production of technetium is neutrom bomb
and production of fluorine isotope is nucleus bomb

HSC

whats the difference between these two, because aren't commercial radio isotopes transuranic elements, so wouldn't they be produced in the same way?

Why does the uranium decay to Np, and when you are writing the eqn, how do you know if it will decay or not
Simply stated, transuranic elements are those with an atomic number greater than that of uranium (92). Radioisotopes on the other hand can be thought of as unstable isotopes that are radioactive. It is highly likely that some transuranic elements exist as radioisotopes. They are probably produced in a similar way either by neutron bombardment and subsequent beta decay to acheive an increase in proton number.

As to why uranium decays to Np, my basic understanding is that this is determined by a series of mathematics that does not need to be known for the HSC. It is also unlikely that you will be asked WHAT specifically something decays into however, you will be asked to fill in the blanks, i.e. figure out what is missing from the equation by summing atomic weights and proton (atomic) numbers.

lydia1992

scientificfield
HSC
Uni Grad
Simply stated, transuranic elements are those with an atomic number greater than that of uranium (92). Radioisotopes on the other hand can be thought of as unstable isotopes that are radioactive. It is highly likely that some transuranic elements exist as radioisotopes. They are probably produced in a similar way either by neutron bombardment and subsequent beta decay to acheive an increase in proton number.

As to why uranium decays to Np, my basic understanding is that this is determined by a series of mathematics that does not need to be known for the HSC. It is also unlikely that you will be asked WHAT specifically something decays into however, you will be asked to fill in the blanks, i.e. figure out what is missing from the equation by summing atomic weights and proton (atomic) numbers.
in a nuclear reactor, a target nucleus , usually uranium-235, is bombarded with a neutron, causing it to split. the split particle then hit other particles causing more splits...so how can elements heavier than uranium be created if there is only splitting and not fusion ?????????

Nadin Azzam

HSC
in a nuclear reactor, a target nucleus , usually uranium-235, is bombarded with a neutron, causing it to split. the split particle then hit other particles causing more splits...so how can elements heavier than uranium be created if there is only splitting and not fusion ?????????
Transuranic elements are elements with a higher atomic number (NOT necessarily mass number) than uranium, which means a higher amount of protons. When neutron bombardment occurs of a target element occurs, the neuatron increases the mass number of the element, however it the unstable nucleus cases the neutron to decay into a proton and an electron, causing the target element to have a higher atomic number, and therefore create a new transuranic element. For example, in this equation,

238/92 U + 1/0 n=239/92 U=239/93Np+ 0/-1e

The uranium is bombarded with a neutron, which causes the mass number to increase, however the neutron then decays into a proton and an electron, which is why the neptunium and second uranium nucleus have the same mass number, but now an increased atomic number. Therefore, fusion doesn't play a part in the creating of transuranic elements...

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Transuranic=Anything that has higher atomic number than Uranium and are formed by neutron bombardment or nuclei bombardment (alpha).

Radioisotope=Pretty much just a radioactive particle such as Flourine-18 or Technetium-99m and are formed by induced nuclear transformations - Technetium-99m is formed by bombardment of Molybdenum-98 then Beta decay.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad

my understanding is:
the uranium gets bombarded by neutrons so a neutron is added to the nucleus of the uranium: 238/92 U + 1/0n = 239/92 U
now, adding an extra neutron makes the uranium more unstable so it then undergoes beta decay to try and become more stable. beta decay means a neutron splits in two - with the electron emitted and the proton remaining behind, increasing the atomic number by one to make neptunium: 239/92 U = 239/93 Np + 0/-1 e

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
my understanding is:
the uranium gets bombarded by neutrons so a neutron is added to the nucleus of the uranium: 238/92 U + 1/0n = 239/92 U
now, adding an extra neutron makes the uranium more unstable so it then undergoes beta decay to try and become more stable. beta decay means a neutron splits in two - with the electron emitted and the proton remaining behind, increasing the atomic number by one to make neptunium: 239/92 U = 239/93 Np + 0/-1 e
This is correct, the type of decay depends on many things though --> too many neutrons = beta decay, too many protons=positron emission or electron capture and if the particle is too large (beyond Lead, Bismuth is often treated as non-radioactive but is slightly radioactive) then alpha decay may occur. Typically, if you add a neutron, you will have too many neutrons and it will try to lose that neutron to try and maintain a balance and beta decay occurs. It's is extremely difficult to predict what type of decay will occur and you won't be expected to know what decay will occur.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)