E-frikin-fectiveness (1 Viewer)

RIZAL

HSC
Just wondering how much emphasis did your teachers place on effectiveness and effectiveness criteria and all that. We've been doing effectiveness all year and now I found that some schools have placed as much emphasis on continuity and change as effectiveness.

what's the deal?

I guess effectiveness comes into continuity and change (and the whole legal system) but would you formally set up effectiveness criteria in a continuity and change question?

thanks

felicity

hey. my teacher placed a lot of emphasis on effectiveness, and very little on continuity and change as well. :(

i think that i would discuss the effectiveness of the legal system in a continuity and change question because the concepts do appear to be interrelated.

i'm glad that i read your post because i haven't really practiced many continuity and change questions, and i probably should. so thanks. :)

Zenithliza

All year all our teacher has done is tell us "You need to know effectiveness, it's very important!" yet we have hardly touched on it. We have just been told to know it well. In any case, I think that continuity and change fit into effectivess, you can talk about how legislation is constantly changing to suit a society's moral standards blah blah.

Sari

we've gone effeciveness through the theme areas - continuity and change, rights and duties, etc.

also assess the place of law through the same themes.

RIZAL

HSC
s'all good now!

yeah I had a close look at the syllabus (a good idea for everyone).

There are underlying themes which they could ask a specific question on but there is a much larger emphasis on effectiveness than anything else.

So an effectivness question could involve many of the themes inside it.

I have seen trial papers which focus on just one theme but I'm not too sure whether we'd see these in the HSC.

Amuka

Emphasis in my class has been on effectiveness above all else, i dont even know what u mean by continuity (if someone could please tell me) !?

Though i havnt attended a whole lot of legal classes this year so its possible i missed it ........

p00_p00

Well can any 1 give us a good discription of continuity and change?

I think it means how the law is constantly changin and being dynamic to cope with changing values of society etc etc. Is that right? Our teacher hasnt really gone ova continuity and change but thats wat i think it is..... its mostly in family questions cause they are the main aspects of the legal system that change

Zenithliza

I think you can interpret continuity and change in a few ways. You can look at it as the law's ability to change and reflect societal values.. eg in family the greater recognition of same sex relationships and stuff, but you can also consider law reform.. what areas are ineffective and need to be reformed.. or both!

Jason

That's funny (peculiar), because we included the same sort of criteria for looking at effectiveness eg. response to changing social values. I guess that pretty much mean one another - if you're asked about continuity and change, you'll have to talk about effectiveness and vice versa. And if you're not asked about either, you chuck both in for good measure (or so my teacher thinks!).

Sari

theres a whole bunch of themes . . . the list we do is rights and duties, compliance and non-compliance, accessibility and resource efficiency, moral and ethical standards, individual standards ad community expectations, enforcement, appeals and review, equality and justice, reform, conflict and co-operation, continuity and change, remedies . . . i think thats about all.

most of them you find present a tension - e.g. for continuity and change, the law would be effective judged on how well it manages to both maintain continuity for clarity and enforceability and stuff, and also accomodate for change coming from society.

does that make sense?

Amuka

My thanks to anyone who posted up about the definition of continuity its helped me alot.

Originally posted by Jason
That's funny (peculiar), because we included the same sort of criteria for looking at effectiveness eg. response to changing social values.
Yep, same with my class.

shikaree_bex

i live in my mind with occasional visits to the jo
damn straight e-frikken-ectiveness

yeah if only i videotaped my legal teacher...he'd pace around the room, like a pigeon, getting carried away on different tangents, often with his finger pointed in the air as if he is making apoint (dont they always make points)

yeah so effectivess was STRESSED
quote: "i can't stress effectiveness enough KNOW your effectiveness"
mean while all this talk ABOUT effectiveness left with with no actually evidence of effetiveness or cases or anything, ahhh, i am basically screwed for legalk cos each time i cram and ...yeah i have to cram for 3U ng as well, waa waa

continuity and change, can someone explain the concept to me?

anyone have a copy of the syllabus for family, consumers, crime, and law and society??:uhoh: and a little more:confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)