westminster act??? (1 Viewer)

sirloki

HSC
what was the fnction of the westminster act????
i think it was to elimenate the british parliaments capacity to pass legislation relating to Australia but i am not sure?? anyone up on this statute???:

Da_KaMaKaZi

Westminster Act

The Westminster Act was passed so that when legislation was passed in Britainit did nt necessarily apply to Australia and its colonies unless it was enable into the AUSTRALIAN legislation. I think this was also the law that eliminated ties between the Austrlian High court and the ability to appeal to the House of Lords, the highest court in England.

AzzaB

More on the Westminster Act

I'd just like to add that not only did the Westminster Act play its role in severing ties with Britain, it also later led to the elimination of the Privy Counsel as the last avenue of appeal for Australian citizens :axedeath:

AzzaB

Legal Studies

More on the Westminster Act:
The changed being evoked from the elimination of British legislation applying to Australia brought about by the Westminster Act DID lead to the withdrawal of the Privy Counsel as a final avenue of appeal, and this was legislatively solidified with the Australia Act 1986... Sorry, i should have mentioned that before
:argue:

Da_KaMaKaZi

thnx!

i was looking evrywhere about what it severed the ties with! i jst couldnt remeber the name...PIRVY COUNCIL! thnx 4 that! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)