Legislation citation? (1 Viewer)

Pepsi Perfect

HSC
Hello everyone!

I was just wondering where to find the pinpoint reference for various statute laws, for example, the Same-Sex Relationships (Equal Treatment in Commonwealth Laws-General Law Reform) Act 2008?

Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited:

SquareHeartsAdrita

cya later alligator
HSC
don't have to "pin point" it. just write the law and say "the point I'm trying to make is....." (obviously not in 1st person)

Pepsi Perfect

HSC
I actually need it as I've been asked to find the citation and I've also been asked to use citations in footnotes... but thanks anyways :)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
I actually need it as I've been asked to find the citation and I've also been asked to use citations in footnotes... but thanks anyways :)
Late reply, but hopefully helpful for people with a similar problem. If you need to reference legal material and your teacher hasn't given you a referencing guide, use this: http://www.law.unimelb.edu.au/files/dmfile/FinalOnlinePDF-2012Reprint.pdf. It's used in (as far as I'm aware) all law schools in Australia.

For legislation, a pinpoint reference usually just means the section you're referring to. If you referred to section 1 of the Same-Sex Relationships Act 2008 in an essay you would cite it as Same-Sex Relationships (Equal Treatment in Commonwealth Laws-General Law Reform) Act (2008) (Cth) s 1. Things get a little trickier for more complex pieces of legislation, but the guide is thorough!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)