Legal Studies or Modern History? (1 Viewer)

maddyruby

HSC
I am not sure whether to do Legal Studies or Modern History for years 11 and 12. My lines recently came out there is one line that I can't make a decision on because I don't know whether I will enjoy them or not. I am not sure about legal studies because I don't like politics but I find criminal cases fascinating. I am not sure about modern history because I dislike wars and modern day figures but I heard the scaling is pretty good. I am leaning more towards legal studies but I want to know about the scaling, how much politics is involved and if I will actually enjoy it.

lohtus

HSC
N/A
You learn about alot of wars and modern day figures in Modern History for Year 11 and start on the causes of WW1. In Year 12 you study WW1 in a a lot of detail so if you are not interested in wars it probably isn't for you. Don't worry about scaling, both Modern History and Legal Studies are around the same and if you hate a high scaling subject and do poorly in it you don't benefit from the scaling. I would suggest talking to Legal Studies teachers or students who are doing Legal Studies to see if you will enjoy it.

treescape

HSC
I didn't think there was too much politics in legal studies, only a little where you are learning about how laws are made (and doesn't really have anything to do with politics like you see on tv - just the process of politics to make law).

I'm biased, but I would choose legal studies. Criminal law is really interesting, you get a broad overview of what justice is in general, and lots of other stuff. I liked it.

jasmeetbasra

HSC
I am currently doing legal studies preliminary. There is a fair bit of politics involved but not too much.
You should definitely go through each syllabus for both subjects and depending on how you feel about your topics, decide form there. Legal studies is interesting, but there is a lot to learn.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)