Decarbonating Soda Water Prac Help (1 Viewer)

jksdhjkfsjdkf

HSC
hey there ... i've jsut completed the decarbonation soda water prac and have begun writing it up... i NEED HELP

Q! - wat are soem sources of error ( i heated my bottle of soda water up in a beaker, unopened ofcoures)

Q2 - explain in terms of the equilibrium reaction of CO2 dissolved in water, why a stream of small bubbles can be seen rising in a bottle of soda water when the lid is loosened. (is this jsut because it has been depressurized and lower pressure means lower solubility of carbon dioxide)

some general infomation on what i coukld put as answers THNX

richz

jksdhjkfsjdkf said:
hey there ... i've jsut completed the decarbonation soda water prac and have begun writing it up... i NEED HELP

Q! - wat are soem sources of error ( i heated my bottle of soda water up in a beaker, unopened ofcoures)

Q2 - explain in terms of the equilibrium reaction of CO2 dissolved in water, why a stream of small bubbles can be seen rising in a bottle of soda water when the lid is loosened. (is this jsut because it has been depressurized and lower pressure means lower solubility of carbon dioxide)

some general infomation on what i coukld put as answers THNX
wow thats a very dangerous exp. are u sure u actually did it and the teacher approved of it, becuz if u did i hope u didnt spalsh soda water everywhere

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Sources of error include:
  • Slight inaccuracy when weighing, as changes in atmospheric pressure can affect sensitive scales
  • It isn't possible to get rid of all the CO2 that's present in the soft drink
  • Liquid may have been lost due to careless handling
  • Water may have been lost to the environment when heating
As for question two, the solubility of carbon dioxide reaction is as follows:

CO2(g) + H2O(l)
H2CO3(aq)

When you open the lid of the soft drink bottle, you are decreasing the pressure and letting out some of the CO2 - a reactant. Le Chatelier's principle states that when a system at equilibrium is disturbed, the system will adjust itself to minimise the disturbance. When the concentration of one of the reactants is decreased, the equilibrium will shift to the left to counteract this decrease, producing more CO2 and H2O from H2CO3. That is, more CO2 is coming out from solution. That would explain the bubbles rising to the surface.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Something interesting to also note:

If you leave the bottle sitting there without it's lid on, the CO2 floating around inside the bottle will continue to exit the bottle neck and by Le Chat's principle, the system at equilibrium before will shift to the left further to replace the loss of CO2 that was floating around inside. This continues like a chain reaction until there is no more CO2 in solution. Then you are just left with a sugary solution, which tastes weird. :p:D

jksdhjkfsjdkf

HSC
thanks heaps for the info...but let me clear up my original post...i put my opened bottle of soda water in a beaker full of water...the beaker was then heated creating a "hot bath"

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Riviet said:
This continues like a chain reaction until there is no more CO2 in solution.
Technically, that's not true. :p

If you leave the drink out long enough, the solubility of CO2 falls 1.2 x 10-5 mol/L, which is the solubility at atmospheric pressure and temperature.

So there's still some CO2 in solution after all.

richz

jksdhjkfsjdkf said:
thanks heaps for the info...but let me clear up my original post...i put my opened bottle of soda water in a beaker full of water...the beaker was then heated creating a "hot bath"
o ok u opened the lid. If u closed the lid. I wudnt want to know the chaos u created

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Dreamerish*~ said:
Technically, that's not true. :p

If you leave the drink out long enough, the solubility of CO2 falls 1.2 x 10-5 mol/L, which is the solubility at atmospheric pressure and temperature.

So there's still some CO2 in solution after all.
Yes I am aware of that, but that's what theoretically would happen, but it doesn't, mainly because of the conditions that the bottle is in. But thanks for clarifying that.

OzV

HSC
N/A
I am doing this prac with my chemistry class tomorrow (hmm - this morning ...) and instead of leaving it in the open to work by itself I am going to get them to place the soft drink can in a bell jar and suck out enough air to lower the pressure enough to make the carbon dioxide bubble out but not enough to make the water bubble out. Given that the boiling point of carbon dioxide is -78.5 deg C and that of water is 100 deg. C this isn't too hard to achieve and if done slowly you don't make a mess. This way you have min evap. of water too.

It is an interesting proposition to investigate the errors in this experiment. According to the ideal gas law, PV=nRT, the molar volume of a gas at 25 deg C and 100kPa is V=nRT/P = 1mole x 8.314J/K/L x 298.15K/100kpa = 24.79L

You can use the difference in mass to calculate the moles and plug this into Volume = moles x molar volume to find the volume but this assumes SLC. In reality SLC are prob not achieved so the above equation will have inherent errors. You can also use PV=nRT to get exactly the same answer using 298.15K and 100kPa, BUT if you also measure the actual pressure and actual temperature on the day you can plug these figures into PV=nRT to get the more accurate answer and the closer the answer is to the one using V=molar volume/moles then the closer your conditions were to SLC. Now you can convert your answer to what you would expect to get at SLC with your actual data using Boyle's Law; P<sub>1</sub>V<sub>1</sub>=P<sub>2</sub>V<sub>2</sub> where P=pressure and V = volume if you assume that the carbon dioxide is behaving like an ideal gas (which it isn't at lower pressures because the particles have lower KE and therefore there is some attraction between particles - more error!!!) - so you can check and verify your results pretty easily and get an idea of just how big your errors are.

NightShadow

HSC
what i'm concerned with the that an equilibrium exists in a closed system only...

so opening the cap is like opening the system, and no longer qualifies as a traditional equilibrium?

but i guess you say that the room now is part of the closed equilibrium

but how closed...is a closed equilibrium then?

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
NightShadow said:
what i'm concerned with the that an equilibrium exists in a closed system only...

so opening the cap is like opening the system, and no longer qualifies as a traditional equilibrium?

Yes, the equilibrium must be in a closed system. This means no matter (gas, liquid, solid, whatever) can get in or out. A school classroom wouldn't be considered a closed system because there are gaps between doors, windows are open, aircon vents, etc.

It has to be closed, very closed. :p

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Dreamerish*~ said:
Yes, the equilibrium must be in a closed system. This means no matter (gas, liquid, solid, whatever) can get in or out. A school classroom wouldn't be considered a closed system because there are gaps between doors, windows are open, aircon vents, etc.

It has to be closed, very closed. :p
That's why you can stay in a classroom for hours and still be breathing, because air is still able to get into the room! :D
A system can only be closed or open, it can't be half closed/half open. Other examples of closed systems include a vacuum and an unopened can or bottle of soft drink. Also note that after opening the lid of a carbonated drink, it is a open system from then on; even if you screw the lid back on, you are not sealing all the air from exiting/entering, although you are slowing down the process of the CO2 coming out of solution and into the air and out of the bottle and vice versa.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Riviet said:
Also note that after opening the lid of a carbonated drink, it is a open system from then on; even if you screw the lid back on, you are not sealing all the air from exiting/entering
A closed bottle is a closed system. Once you screw the lid back onto an opened bottle of soft drink, it becomes closed again. The system will again reach equilibrium, however, this new equilibrium would contain different concentrations of reactants and products from the old one.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I thought it wouldn't be closed, just because the gap between the inside of the lid and the top of the bottle opening would leak very small amounts of CO2 and other gases.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
Riviet said:
I thought it wouldn't be closed, just because the gap between the inside of the lid and the top of the bottle opening would leak very small amounts of CO2 and other gases.
mmmmmmm i think for the HSC, this wouldnt matter too much. i wouldnt be too concerned with it. stick with the theoretical principles.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Riviet said:
Negligible amounts, I would imagine. That probably wouldn't matter.

Anyhow, an unopened bottle would have had such a gap too, wouldn't it?

OzV

HSC
N/A
NightShadow said:

However, this is not really the point of the experiment. You are right in saying that the system will only be in equilibrium when the top is on and sealed tight to prevent any leakage. But if a reaction system that IS in equilibrium is disturbed, by say... opening the lid, it will attempt to reverse the effects of the disturbance to re-establish a state of equilibrium. Of course this is impossible in an open system when the reaction system involves gases which is why it IS possible to exploit this tendency to drive the reaction system in a particular direction to achieve the aim by manipulating either the pressure (partial or total), temperature, or concentration of the products/reactants. In this case the aim was to decarbonate a carbonated solution by exploiting the principles of chemical equilibria and in doing so calculate the volume of gas dissolved in the solution at SLC. Once it's initial mass has been determined (as a closed system) you can't actually achieve the aim if it is maintained as a closed system (and could be potentially dangerous if you tried it :bomb: ). If it were me I would be focusing my concerns on being able to explain things like;

<ul><li>why does a drop in pressure affect the solubility of CO<sub>2</sub> in water ? </li>
<li>how did you exploit this to ensure the CO<sub>2</sub> was driven off completelty?</li>
<li>how did you minimise errors or how did your experimental design introduce errors?</li>
<li>why does increasing the temperature of the reaction system cause a shift in equilibrium to the left (using the terms exothermic and endothermic to explain your answer)?</li>
<li>Increasing the temperature of a reaction system involving solids and liquids increases the solubility of reactants in the solvent so why doesn't this occur when gases are involved?</li>
<li>Why does heating a solution lower the total pressure above the solution in an open system...</li></ul>

etc

OversizeSweater

HSC
hey!
i need to plan an experiment to show the factors that affect a system at equilibrium, and i can only think of this one... i need to know how change in temp, volume, concentration and pressure affect THIS equilibrium. and how do i conduct an experiment to investigate this..

can anyone suggest anything?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)