Equilibrium (1 Viewer)

lilchezza

HSC
Having trouble determinating which way the equilibrium will shift, is it just to the side the gas is on?

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
1. Which equilibrium are we talking about?
What did you do to disturb the equilibrium (increasing pressure, decreasing temperature, adding acid... etc)?

P

pLuvia

If pressure is increased, the equilibrium system will shift to the side with the less gaseous moles, and vice versa

antarctic

HSC
Remember whatitsname's rule: the equillibrium will shift to oppose any changes that happen to the system. It will shift to produce more gas if something's done to take the gas away or to lower the pressure of the gas.

Regards

Riviet

HSC
N/A
His name is who I like to call Le Chat (pronounced shat), short for Le Chatelier. :D

Sam.

bored.
HSC
Whenever I can't remember his name, I just think of a chandelier. The same with avacados and Avagadro.

Dragie

HSC
Quick questions:

When pressure is increased equilibrium shifts to...

When temp increases equilibrium shifts to...

When conc increases, equilibrium shifts to...

Lol, I think I may get it...but need confirmation!
Thanks

Sam.

bored.
HSC
When pressure is increased equilibrium shifts in the direction that tends to reduce pressure. That is, some of the gas will dissolve: the equilibrium moves to the right.

When temperature increases the equilibrium moves in the direction that counteracts the temperature change. So, if the reaction is exothermic as it moves from left to right, if the temperature is increased the equilibrium will move to the left as that will absorb heat.

When concentration, or pressure of one species involved, increases, the equilibrium generally shifts to the right (or whichever direction will counteract the increase by absorbing some of the gas into the solution).

Dragie

HSC
Sam. said:
Whenever I can't remember his name, I just think of a chandelier. The same with avacados and Avagadro.

Lol - that's a pretty good way of remembering it. I might nick that from ya ;)

lilchezza

HSC
there wasn't a particular question just general issues with any example lolz

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
lilchezza said:
there wasn't a particular question just general issues with any example lolz
Lol well it always depends on the reaction doesn't it?

If you want it put generally, the equilibrium will shift to whichever side that will minimise or adjust to the change.

lilchezza

HSC
lol well yes i suppose it does, it kinda helps when you have some concept of it though coz' it makes no sense to me. Thankyou for your help, i think i may need to go over this again!

vanush

kdslkf
HSC
it also depends on what type of change. for example - temperature. raising the temperature of the system will cause the system to try and minimise the change (Le Chatelier) and thus the endothermic reaction will be favoured. (endothermic - absorbing heat)

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC
Le Chatelier's Principle stated that:
If a change is imposed on a system at equilibrium, the position of equilibrium will shift in a direction that tends to partially offset that change.

Basically, if the disturbance (like changing temperature, concentration or pressure) produced more gas, then the equilibrium will shift to the side where there is no gas so the gas will be used up in the process. (the equilibrium partially offset that change). Conversely, if the disturbance produced more products, then the equilibrium will shift to the side where the gas is.

Hope this helps.:)

lilchezza

HSC
for example: Fizzy drinks are made by dissolving carbon dioxide in liquid at high pressure.
CO^2(g)+H2O(l)"H2CO3(aq)

By changing the pressure,temp.or concentration of any of the substances, we can alter the eqm.
If we add more CO2, the system will shift to the right(in order to use up the addition).
If we add more carbonic acid the system will shift to the left.

was that right??

Sam.

bored.
HSC
That's right.

Another example:

SO2(g) + Cl2(g) <--> SO2Cl2(g) - - - - (exothermic)

i. If we increase the pressure (by compressing the equilibrium mixture into a smaller volume), the equilibrium will move to the right, as the reaction will have to speed up in an attempt to decrease the gas pressure
ii. if we add more Cl2(g) to the reaction, the equilibrium will initially shift to the right to get rid of the excess Cl2(g)
ii. if we decrease the heat it will again move to the right. It is an exothermic reaction, so is already releasing heat. If heat is taken away from the reaction, it will shift to the right, as this is the side that will liberate more heat.

If the last one confuses you (I had no idea for ages) think of it like this:

SO2(g) + Cl2(g) <--> SO2Cl2 + heat

If we take away heat from the start, we have to add heat to the end to keep the reaction 'balanced':

SO2(g) + Cl2(g) - heat <--> SO2Cl2 + 2heat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)