Weak Acid Strong Acid?? (1 Viewer)

purky

HSC
We got a question from a sheet our teacher gave to us, and HI is acting as a strong acid, but in conquering chemistry it acts as a weak acid... what do i put in an exam??

idling fire

HSC
My sources say strong. Hydroiodic acid (which is what HI(aq) would refer to) is completely dissociated, for our purposes anyway.

Miss-K-Lee-2007

HSC
purky said:
We got a question from a sheet our teacher gave to us, and HI is acting as a strong acid, but in conquering chemistry it acts as a weak acid... what do i put in an exam??
write a balanced equation to show HI acting as a strong acid. (im sure you can do this yourself)

EHA18

HSC
Hi there.
i thought there was only 3 strong acids and the rest weak. the strongs being H2SO4 (sulfuric acid), HNO3 (nitric acid) and HCI (hydrochloric acid)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
EHA18 said:
Hi there.
i thought there was only 3 strong acids and the rest weak. the strongs being H2SO4 (sulfuric acid), HNO3 (nitric acid) and HCI (hydrochloric acid)
in HSC that's right, otherwise, it's not completely right

and HI is a strong acid...

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
I remember my teacher saying that all group 7 acids are strong except HF.

Sam.

bored.
HSC
HI is a strong acid.

You should be able to write out a balanced equation that proves that it totally ionises.

Aerlinn

HSC
Martyno1 said:
I remember my teacher saying that all group 7 acids are strong except HF.
I've never heard that. You mean, as in, HBr, HI, HAt (no idea about that last one >.<) are all strong acids too?

PS. Speaking of acids/bases, it's strong acids that ionise completely... is it strong bases that dissociate completely into ions, or is that just a misconception?

Last edited:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Aerlinn said:
I've never heard that. You mean, as in, HBr, HI, HAt (no idea about that last one >.<) are all strong acids too?

PS. Speaking of acids/bases, it's strong acids that ionise completely... is it strong bases that dissociate completely into ions, or is that just a misconception?
that's correct... acids ionises and most bases dissociates (nb: NaOH -> Na+ + OH-)

haloeshorns

HSC
Sam. said:
HI is a strong acid.

You should be able to write out a balanced equation that proves that it totally ionises.
i should.... but i cant. :( this stuff confuses me. wots the equation i should be able to write?

***Gabs***

HSC
Ok if we can say the common strong acids are HCL HNO3 and H2SO4 then what are the common strong bases?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
everything which ended with metal-OH which dissolves...

miz2nv

HSC
N/A
need help 4 chem we hve 2 make a model showing
hydrochloric acid and acetic acid any help with how they will look

please help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)