titration help! (1 Viewer)

totallybord

HSC
hi,
i just want someone to clarify some titration stuff that i have trouble with and the questions might sound really dumb but I seriously can't work it out.
1) if they say titrate HNO3 against Na2CO3, what is the unknown and what is known?
2) what if they say titrate HNO3 with Na2CO3?
3) also is the unknown in the burette and the known in the conical flask or the other way around?

thank you guys!

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
I think it really depends on the info they provide. It's really not in terms of linguistical discrepancies here. Well, if it says the [HNO3] is 'about' st then Na2CO3 is the known solution. And normally it is (within questions having 2 solutions only, one is known, the other is not) as you probably know already. Don't get upset, you can only decide it when they give you enough info.

There's no restriction in using which solution in the burette and which in the conical flask. However, conventionally the majority use known solution in burette and the other in conical flask.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Also to add to the point. Historically, only acids are placed in the burette, as base tend to ruin the plastic tap.

So such restriction applies to modern titration equipments however.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)