Bronsted-Lowry acids (1 Viewer)

zinc

HSC
Hi everyone
What does it mean when it says that the B-L definition of acids is not limited to aqueous systems?

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
It means that the B-L definition of acids can be applied to acids of any states; the definition of acid (by B-L) is a proton (Hydrogen atom) donor.

The previous definition by Arrhenius said that acids give (specifcally) hydrogen IONS. This is the limitation to aqueous systems, because things can only give off IONS when they are in aqueous systems.

Unlike Arrhenius definition of acid, the B-L did not have any limitations, as it is defined as any substances that donate hydrogen atoms.

zinc

HSC
are there any examples of acids and bases reacting in non aqueous systems?

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Umm, I know for sodium carbonate (Na2CO3) is a solid base. I can't remember any of acids though.

But just remember that anything that loses hydrogen is acid, anything that gets the hydrogen is base. Forget that the state of the substance takes into account when we're discussing about the B-L definition.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Well, because basically we have to take into account the acidity and basicity of the solvents in regard to that of the solutes (i.e. their likelihood to give up or receive a proton compared to the other or how strong is their ability to receive a proton?) And to broaden up, it's not necessary to be between a solvent and a solute but two substances with same regards as above. An example is NH3 and HCl in benzene, HCl gives up a proton and becomes the acid in this context. There's no dissociation of HCl to its ionic components, just a simple proton transfer.

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
Undermyskin said:
Well, because basically we have to take into account the acidity and basicity of the solvents in regard to that of the solutes (i.e. their likelihood to give up or receive a proton compared to the other or how strong is their ability to receive a proton?) And to broaden up, it's not necessary to be between a solvent and a solute but two substances with same regards as above. An example is NH3 and HCl in benzene, HCl gives up a proton and becomes the acid in this context. There's no dissociation of HCl to its ionic components, just a simple proton transfer.
Spot on bud. I'd be surprised if you don't get a band 6 in chem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)