Question - Titrations (1 Viewer)

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
A scientist who wishes to prepare a standardised 0.100 mol/L sodium carbonate solution. she adds some sodium carbonate powder to water in a flask and titrates 25mL of it with 0.100 mol/L HCl requiring 55.3mL of the acid for end point
a) determine the base molarity
b) determine the number of mL of this base solution that she has to place in a 500mL volumetric flask so that she can dilute it to the standard 0.100mol/L sodium carbonate solution required

i think i'm confused because theres to much wording to this question. if someone could work it out for me and explain each step, then i'd be happy :) what does it mean when the solution reaches end point? is that the point where 55.3 ml of HCl actually "neutralised" the the solution?

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
55.3mL of 0.1M HCl

n=cv
n=.1*.0553
=.00553
:. there are .00553M of both HCl and sodium carbonate in their respective solutions(as equal moles of strong acids and strong bases will neutralise each other)
n=cv
n/v=c
.00553/.025=c
.2212=c

:. molarity is 0.2212mol.L^-1

EDIT: Hang on, does sodium carbonate 100% dissociate? cos if it doesn't I'm wrong

Last edited:

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Calculon, the reaction isn't 1:1. The equation is:

Na2CO3 + 2HCl ---> 2NaCl + CO2 + H2O

honkytonk

i do it like:

(CAVA)/a = (CBVB)/b

where
CA= concentration of acid = 0.1
VA= volume of acid = 55.3
a= ratio of acid = 2
CB= concentration of base = ?
VB = volume of base = 25
b= ratio of base = 1

sub all that in and u get,

(0.1 x 55.3)/2 = (CB x 25)/1
:. CB = 0.1106molL-1

the second part of the question made me really really confused and hungry.

Originally posted by kimmeh
i think i'm confused because theres to much wording to this question. if someone could work it out for me and explain each step, then i'd be happy :) what does it mean when the solution reaches end point? is that the point where 55.3 ml of HCl actually "neutralised" the the solution? [/B]
yes. 55.3mL of HCl neutralised 25mL of Na2CO3

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
As badapple has indicated, the sodium carbonate solution is 0.1106 mol/L. For the second part, we need to dilute this solution to be 500.0 mL and 0.100 mol/L, so use the diltuion formula (C_1 * V_1 = C_2 * V_2) with
C_1 = 0.1106 mol/L, V_1 = ? L, C_2 = 0.100 mol/L, and V_2 = 0.5000 L, which gives V_1 = 0.45207... L. So, you need to place 452 mL (3 sig fig) of the sodium carbonate solution into the 500.0 mL volumetric flask, and then fill to the graduation mark (dropwise near the end), then shake to mix, to produce 500.0 mL of 0.100 mol/L sodium carbonate solution.
Originally posted by kimmeh
what does it mean when the solution reaches end point? is that the point where 55.3 ml of HCl actually "neutralised" the the solution?
Originally posted by badapple
yes. 55.3mL of HCl neutralised 25mL of Na2CO3
Firstly, make sure that you understand the difference between equivalence point and end point, as they are not the same thing, and there is a horrible tendency for these terms to be used interchangeably. Hopefully, the following will make the difference clear :):

Equivalence Point: The point in a titration where the reactants are present in their stoichiometric ratio. That is, just enough titrant has been added from the burette to completely react all of the material in the conical flask, and thus neither is present in excess.

End Point: The point in a titration when the first permanent colour change of the indicator occurs.

Now if the indicator is appropriate, then the end point should occur just after (say half a drop after) the equivalence point. Since a drop is about a twentieth of a mL, we can take the end point (which is what we find) as a very good approximation to the equivalence point (which is what we seek), and use the end point as if it were the equivalence point in calculations.

This is the reason that the approriateness of the indicatot is so important. If an inappropriate indicator is used, then the end point may be quite different from the equivalence point, and so the assumption that we can approximate the equivalence point with the end point is invalid.

Secondly, avoid using the word neutralise in the context of acid / base titrations, as whether the equivalence point is neutral (ie pH = 7 at 25 C) depends on what chemicals are involved. The pH at the equivalence point will depend on the nature of the salt formed (acidic, basic or neutral), and this in turn will determine what indicators are approriate in a given experiment.

As it turns out, the equivalence point for this titration will be neutral - NaCl is a neutral salt - provided that all of the CO2 produced is evolved as gas. However, the term is still dangerous. Try to stick with equivalence point / end point, or if you must speak of pH, make sure you also talk about the nature of the salt.

Last edited:

kalinda

HSC
or if u use a ph meter which spits out a graph at the end the end point is the half way mark of the almost vertical slope

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Kalinda, the titration curve (pH vs volume of solution added) allows you to find the equivalence point directly, rather than estimating it by the end point as is done with an indicator. The end point cannot be determined from a titration curve.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)