Most effective way of studying chemistry (1 Viewer)

DiValdez

HSC
I know chemistry is a subject more about understanding, but how do we get these concepts into our heads most efficiently ?

Reading notes, doing questions or?

Hoskiies

HSC
Do summaries of the syllabus, learn your syllabus well

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Lots and Lots of past papers, no matter what time of the year.
Errr...no. You actually need to understand concepts, understand all the practicals of HSC chemistry and be able to know it well enough that if they ask you any question about it, you'll be able to understand it. Past papers can't help you with that.

In fact, I probably did around a total of 10 past papers for chemistry - all year.

Hoskiies

HSC
Errr...no. You actually need to understand concepts, understand all the practicals of HSC chemistry and be able to know it well enough that if they ask you any question about it, you'll be able to understand it. Past papers can't help you with that.

In fact, I probably did around a total of 10 past papers for chemistry - all year.
That's why you write up your notes... study the syllabus so you can identify which dotpoint the question may come from.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
That's why you write up your notes... study the syllabus so you can identify which dotpoint the question may come from.
I know, I didn't say you DON'T do it - I said you don't do it just by itself.

Your study should consist of "rote learning" of parts of the syllabus (typically the history parts), understanding of concepts so you can apply them to any situation and SOME past papers (~10 is fine).

You just need to find your balance and you will be fine.

Hoskiies

HSC
I know, I didn't say you DON'T do it - I said you don't do it just by itself.

Your study should consist of "rote learning" of parts of the syllabus (typically the history parts), understanding of concepts so you can apply them to any situation and SOME past papers (~10 is fine).

You just need to find your balance and you will be fine.
I'm not much of a rote learner that's why I fine it difficult to remember the solubility table, the colours of the flame test and indicator range :p
Any tips

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm not much of a rote learner that's why I fine it difficult to remember the solubility table, the colours of the flame test and indicator range :p
Any tips
You rote learn the flame tests - the solubility rules should grow on you throughout the year. That's what happened for me. As for the indicator range, they tend to give it to you in the questions but they don't need to - you might get away with being lazy with that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)