Degree of ionisation (1 Viewer)

AnimeX

HSC
N/A
Please explain what "degree of ionisation" means, my understanding was the ability to dissociate ions (is this wrong?).

What would be the answer to this question?

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
I probably wouldn't use the word 'ability'. I think degree of ionisation is more so the extend to which the substance will dissociate or the proportion of particles that have dissociated. i.e. high degree of ionisation means the majority or virtually all of the particles will dissociate into ions (like with HCl), low degree of ionisation means only a small percentage of the particles present will dissociate into ions (e.g. acetic acid).

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
Add water --> dilution --> decrease acidity --> increases pH

so A or C

If we decrease acidity...that means less H3O+ ions, by Le Chatelier's Principle, a disturbed system shifts to counteract change, hence shifts to the right to produce more H3O+, increasing deg of ionisation

is this correct?
only thing i can think of because increasing vol. of water will have no effect

so is it C?

EDIT: ITS IN BOLD

Last edited:

AnimeX

HSC
N/A
Add water --> dilution --> decrease acidity --> increases pH

so A or C

If we increase acidity...that means less H3O+ ions, by Le Chatelier's Principle, a disturbed system shifts to counteract change, hence shifts to the right to produce more H3O+, increasing deg of ionisation

is this correct?
only thing i can think of because increasing vol. of water will have no effect

so is it C?
hey, when you say increase acidity why does that mean less H3O+? I thought the more acidic something was, the more H3O+?

EDIT: and yes it is C , can you further explain it though?

AnimeX

HSC
N/A
I probably wouldn't use the word 'ability'. I think degree of ionisation is more so the extend to which the substance will dissociate or the proportion of particles that have dissociated. i.e. high degree of ionisation means the majority or virtually all of the particles will dissociate into ions (like with HCl), low degree of ionisation means only a small percentage of the particles present will dissociate into ions (e.g. acetic acid).
Hi, but what does water do to it? I'm still confuzzled

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
The answer is C.

Obviously, if you dilute an acid, pH increases (less acidic) so that leaves A or C.

Degree of ionisation refers to how many acetic acid molecules will break apart to form ions, that is, as a proportion of all acid molecules, how many of them will dissociate. To explain this, the Le Chatelier's principle reference is correct.

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
hey, when you say increase acidity why does that mean less H3O+? I thought the more acidic something was, the more H3O+?

EDIT: and yes it is C , can you further explain it though?
sorry made a mistake, sorry for the confusion

In this question, imagine this chemical equilibrium in ur mind!

Add water --> dilution --> decrease acidity --> less H3O+ ions --> system wants to produce more H3O+ to compensate for the loss (Le Chatelier's Principle) --> equation shifts to the right to produce mroe H3O+ --> shifting to the right means more acetic acid molecules will ionise into ethanoate and hydronium ions

Last edited:

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
alternatively you could use c1v1=c2v2 you'll see that the value of c decrease and dumping that back into -log(conc) you'll see that rise :)

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
alternatively you could use c1v1=c2v2 you'll see that the value of c decrease and dumping that back into -log(conc) you'll see that rise :)
no

Firstly,

secondly, acetic acid doesnt not completely ionise and hence u dont know the exact concentration of H+, hence u cannot find the exact pH

AnimeX

HSC
N/A
sorry made a mistake, sorry for the confusion

In this question, imagine this chemical equilibrium in ur mind!

Add water --> dilution --> decrease acidity --> less H3O+ ions --> system wants to produce more H3O+ to compensate for the loss (Le Chatelier's Principle) --> equation shifts to the right to produce mroe H3O+ --> shifting to the right means more acetic acid molecules will ionise into ethanoate and hydronium ions
thanks, this makes much more sense!

so, just confirming: acetic molecules ionising to ethanoate and hydronium is correct, in terms of wording?

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Acetic acid can react with water to produce acetate and hydronium ions in solution.

The problem with yours is that you forget to mention water so you can't make hydronium ions.

_luke_

HSC
Sorry to start the thread up again, but just to point out an error. The relative concentration of each of the products (bar water) would remain the same (the concentration of the species in the above equilibrium would be diluted by the same factor).

Hence, it isn't the fact that there is a decrease in hydrogen ions, but rather than there is an increase in the water species which drives the equilibrium reaction forward.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Sorry to start the thread up again, but just to point out an error. The relative concentration of each of the products (bar water) would remain the same (the concentration of the species in the above equilibrium would be diluted by the same factor).

Hence, it isn't the fact that there is a decrease in hydrogen ions, but rather than there is an increase in the water species which drives the equilibrium reaction forward.
yes this post is correct
http://community.boredofstudies.org/240/acidic-environment/305880/degree-ionisation.html#post6358243

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)