Anyone have a list of acids/bases we should know? (1 Viewer)

fatassmcfat

HSC
In the syllabus I know it mentions acetic, citric, hydrochloric and sulfuric, but anything else we should know? and same for bases, should we just know the ones which are in household cleaners?

Also what exactly is the definition of 'concentrated' acid e.g. 1.0 M concentration and above?

fatassmcfat

HSC
Also at what pH is an acid considered strong.......e.g. carbonic acid is 3.7 which is greater than 3.5 (half the acid range) so does that mean its weak acid?

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
Someone correct me if i'm wrong but you should only memorise a couple of strong acid/bases and a couple weak acid/bases
Strong acids -> HCl, HNO3, H2SO4
Weak Acids -> Citric acid, Acetic acid (CH3COOH)
Strong bases -> NaOH, KOH
Weak Bases -> NH4OH
yeah i dont know many bases lol
But the point is so you can give at least 1 example of each different acid/base, they normally appear in multiple choice or a 1 marker, i have never seen a question ask for more than 2 examples of the same class (as in strong acid, strong base, weak acid, weak base)
Yeah household cleaners are great examples for strong bases.
A concentrated acid is simply lots of particles of the acid (can be ionized or un-ionized <- if thats even a word) per unit of volume.
There are 4 kinds you need to remember
Concentrated strong acid
Concentrated weak acid
Dilute Strong acid
Dilute weak acid,
Oh and it can either be acid or base doesn't matter but there is a dot point in the syllabus asking you to recognise what each of those 4 terms mean and in the conquering chemistry or jacaranda (i forgot which book) there is a diagram explaining the difference between those 4.
There is no pH that dictates whether an acid is strong, an acid is strong if it ionises 100%, like HCl and HNO3, they turn into H+ and Cl- or NO3- everytime they are dissolved into water, thats what strong means, ionize 100% into water however weak acids only partially ionize such as carbonic acid. obviously a pH of 1 is probably a strong acid and a pH of 3 or above is a weak acid but there is no definite line in the pH range that dictates whether one is strong or weak, the difference between strong or weak is purely how the acid or base ionizes in water

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
There is no scientific quantitative definition for a 'concentrated acid' since it depends on what acid you are talking about-different acids have different concentration ranges, however, a more generalised qualitative definition is concentrated refers to having a high number of acid molecules per unit volume of solution. Regarding your question about how to define how 'strong' an acid is-it is not related to pH, but rather, it relates to the degree of ionisation, complete ionisation makes an acid strong, incomplete ionisation makes an acid 'weak', you don't have 'stronger' acids, you can only have degrees of weakness(since depends on extent of ionisation of acid in water)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)