pH calculation question (1 Viewer)

Shuuya

HSC
Question:

The pH of an acid is given as 5.0 and it is also triprotic. Calculate the hydrogen ion concentration of the acid.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just checking, the proticity of the acid shouldn't affect the concentration of the H3O+ ions right? (i.e. it's already taken into account when the pH was calculated?)

Last edited:

Bestintheworld

HSC
I think you have to first calculate the H+, i.e. [H+] = 10^-pH and then divide by 3 to get the concentration. Divide by 3 because its triprotic

Last edited:

Shuuya

HSC
I think you have to first calculate the H+, i.e. [H+] = -10^pH and then divide by 3 to get the acid concentration. Divide by 3 because its triprotic
Isn't the question just to find the H+ ion concentration though? (as opposed to finding the acid concentration)

Bestintheworld

HSC
Isn't the question just to find the H+ ion concentration though? (as opposed to finding the acid concentration)
I edited my answer, it should have been like that above. I am not 100% sure though..

Last edited:

Shuuya

HSC
I edited my answer, it should have been like that above. I am not 100% sure though..
Ok, thanks :)

I was pretty sure that you only had to do that to get the acid concentration though, not sure... :/

Last edited:

ml125

HSC
I was pretty sure that you only had to do that to get the acid concentration though, not sure... :/
That's what I thought too..
Pretty sure you neglect the proticity of the acid, it shouldn't affect the concentration of the H3O+ ions

But then again, not completely sure bc we just started this and completely missed the lesson :haha:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)