Naming hydrocarbons (1 Viewer)

HSC

Can someone tell me why the ans is c and not a?
Thank you

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

HSC
ah ok, thanks for that! my teacher told us it was in order of weight, and as chlorine is heavier it is first , not sure tho

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad

Can someone tell me why the ans is c and not a?
Thank you

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Using current naming techniques, answer should be (a).

Both (a) and (c) could apply to the molecule and both produce the same value for the set of locants ( 3 + 5 = 5 + 3 ) and when this happens, RACI guidelines state that the lowest number is given to the halogen which is named first. Chloro is named first as naming is now done alphabetically, rather than by electronegativity.

https://www.raci.org.au/document/item/1012

Bottom of page 4, points 5 & 6.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
These type of questions scream out "free marks". The way you go about answering these questions is by following two simple rules: Naming is done alphabetically and the numbering/positioning is done from the side closest to the first alphabetical atom. So in this case A B Chloro D E Floro, so you start with 3-chloro, and then you stay consistent and continue reading along to reach 5-fluoro.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Fluorine is more electronegative than Cl therefore gets higher priority, in IUPAC at least. Then we write in alphabetical order, therefore the answer is C.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Fluorine is more electronegative than Cl therefore gets higher priority, in IUPAC at least. Then we write in alphabetical order, therefore the answer is C.
IUPAC does not use electronegativity for haloalkanes. Functional groups different story, but not haloalkanes.

IUPAC uses alphanumeric.

Please see the RACI guidelines I linked in a previous post.

In red writing at the very beginning

"IUPAC uses the alphanumeric nomenclature system. Older methods using electronegativity are NO LONGER VALID."

I think it's been this way for the last 5 years or so?

Last edited:

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
IUPAC does not use electronegativity for haloalkanes. Functional groups different story, but not haloalkanes.

IUPAC uses alphanumeric.

Please see the RACI guidelines I linked in a previous post.

In red writing at the very beginning

"IUPAC uses the alphanumeric nomenclature system. Older methods using electronegativity are NO LONGER VALID."

I think it's been this way for the last 5 years or so?
maybe the question paper is old then?

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, I'd say so! The 2012 HSC has a MC question based on the old naming system and hence there was no correct answer for it! That would have been written towards the end of 2011, so the change probably occurred around 2011/12. Papers before then regarding naming of haloalkanes would have invalid answers according to current naming system

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)