Cation & Anion Help (1 Viewer)

secretsanta16

HSC
Is there a way to remember what colours cations produce from the flame test?
Also is there a way for which anion will precipitate or should i just go off the solubility rules to figured it out? :spin:

Deadboxes

HSC
Yeah, I'd go via remembering both the values for the flame and precipitate tests. My book gives some examples of how to remember what colours are formed, like:
Barium Nitrate "An apple a day keeps the doctor away so you dont' have to barium" meaning that barium forms a apple green flame.
Calcium Nitrate "Calcium keeps bone stroke as brick" meaning that calcium produces a brick red flame.
Copper Nitrate "A policemans uniform is usually blue" meaning that copper produces a blueish/green flame.
Iron Nitrate "Iron Man's suit is red and yellow, but red is already taken" meaning iron forms a sparkly yellow flame.
Lead Nitrate "If you use lead pencil, you wont need white-out" meanning a white flame is produced from lead.

Reactions: Exp

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
Lead Nitrate "If you use lead pencil, you wont need white-out" meanning a white flame is produced from lead.
Be careful...

You should not conduct a flame test with lead ions (for obvious reasons).

On a side note, it would be best to know at least one non-flame test for cations.

You can also memorise some anion tests, such as adding a certain solution to check for a certain ion.

Last edited:

secretsanta16

HSC
Yeah, I'd go via remembering both the values for the flame and precipitate tests. My book gives some examples of how to remember what colours are formed, like:
Barium Nitrate "An apple a day keeps the doctor away so you dont' have to barium" meaning that barium forms a apple green flame.
Calcium Nitrate "Calcium keeps bone stroke as brick" meaning that calcium produces a brick red flame.
Copper Nitrate "A policemans uniform is usually blue" meaning that copper produces a blueish/green flame.
Iron Nitrate "Iron Man's suit is red and yellow, but red is already taken" meaning iron forms a sparkly yellow flame.
This is great, now its stuck in my head now haha!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)