HSC PDHPE Marathon 2016 (1 Viewer)

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Welcome to the HSC PDHPE Marathon.

For those like myself who do the HSC subject of PDHPE, well done to you. It is said to be one of the best HSC subject regarded for its content which can be continuously related and applied to real life applications. In this thread let us combine our knowledge, conquer the various questions that can be thrown at us and master our writing style. In effect, this can hopefully place us on the track to achieving great marks.

I invite all former and current HSC PDHPE students in particular, to participate in this marathon.

Rules:
- Don't flood the thread with multiple unanswered questions.
- Don't cheat by looking at sample answers/marking guidelines etc.! Allow others to have a go.
- Allocate the number of marks for every question.

Tips:
- Identify the keyword/s in the question and relate it back to the respective syllabus dot and/or dash point.
- Incorporate metalanguage in your responses (markers love this).
- Peer mark answers- suggest alternative approaches for top marks.

Last edited:
Reactions: I97

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
To get things moving, a pretty straight forward question from Core 1.

Outline the risk factors and protective factors associated with cardiovascular disease. 3

Drsoccerball

HSC
A girl in my school state ranked pdh but I doubt she'd be able to go on BOS :/

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
To get things moving, a pretty straight forward question from Core 1.

Outline the risk factors and protective factors associated with cardiovascular disease. 3
Cardiovascular disease refers to all the conditions of the heart. There are non-modifiable determinants and lifestyle choices that can contribute to CVD. Non-modifiable determinants include an individual's increasing age which contributes to an ageing heart muscle, family history of heart disease and gender, men are at more risk. Lifestyle choices such as hypertension (high blood pressure) increases stress on heart muscles, smoking increases the risk of atherosclerosis, the lack of physical activity and obesity is also major risk factor for HBP and cholesterol as well as a poor nutrition and alcohol consumption, which contribute to an increased risk of CVD.

Protective factors against CVD include regular physical activity, regular health checks, and eating a balanced diet low in saturated fats.

Last edited:

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
New Question

Outline the post-performance dietary considerations of an endurance athlete. 3

MilkyCat_

HSC
A post-performance nutritional plan aims to return the body to its pre-event state as quickly as possible. An endurance athlete will have used large amounts of carbohydrate stores during performance, so the athlete must consume foods high in carbohydrates directly after performance to replace muscle glycogen stores. High GI foods are the most beneficial as they replace the muscle and liver glycogen stores most efficiently. Hydration is also important to return the body to it's pre-performance state, especially in endurance events where large amounts of fluids are being lost through perspiration. Most athletes will weigh themselves before and after competition to gauge their fluid loss and how much liquid they need to consume. Some experts suggest that an athlete must consume 150% of their fluids lost to promote full recovery.

New Question

Outline THREE physiological adaptations in response to aerobic training. 4 marks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)