Belief Systems/Popular Culture (1 Viewer)

halo_fourteen

We are doing Buddhism for Belief Systems and Surfing for Popular Culture. We are studying the country of Afghanistan for our core topic and realting this to conflict-structuralism.

What are other people doing?

Ducky

My class is doing Islam for belief systems and
Women for inequiality and difference
and Malaysia for country about change/cont

felicity

my class is doing:
continuity + change- china with either the conflict theory or the functionalist theory.
belief systems- buddhism
popular culture- blue jeans :)

Kat

We are doing Japan for cont/change
Christianity for belief systems
and Aboriginals for social inequalities

ejane

textbook

does anybody know of the recently published society and culutre text book? i heard that its really good!

malibu stacy

society and culture

i think that this subject is very boring. felicity im from the CC and we are doing blue jeans 2.

is that new society and culture book any good cause my teacher orderd them 4 us, they are $30 which is an ok rice. does anybody know if they are worth it?:)

ejane

yeah the text books are helpful - i went and got one. shame its like four days till the exam though.
hey does anyone have any notes for Japan - cont and change and future directions for the county?
also anyone doing animation as a focus study for popular culture?

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
Did all of you guys do the same Pop culture case study as the rest of your class? At our school we all chose somehting we are interested in and then do an assignment on it that our teacher wrote to cover all the syllabus guidelines. I really liked doing it that way because you got to do something you were interested in.
For inequality and difference we did Jewish Germans pre and durring WWII and Aboriginal society, we can chose whihch one best suits the question.
For continuity and change we did Marxist conflict theory in Maoist China.
Just a question regarding Pop culture, do you guys all have the concept map memorised?

Rosie

For the country we're doing PNG.....for pop culture we are doing punk and for inequality we are doin the underclass!
smegger_em i wish my teacher had thought of that for pop culture it woulda been much more interesting. At first i didn't like punk that much but its a pretty good topic now that i realise it can relate to ideology, mythology etc etc!! :)
I have memorised the concept map but i know what all the concepts mean and can apply it to any pop culture essay that may come about and i think thats the most important thing myself.
Smegger_em what are u doing for pop culture?

Rosie

thats cool :) i just wish the exam was over...some people are lucky they are already finished!!

ejane

hey i know this may be really obvious, but what is the 'concept map' for popular culture? were can i get it? ??? any other things that i shoudl know?

Rosie

The concept map has all the different words n stuff (concepts) that u need to know for popular culture such as, ideology, globalisation, mythology etc....u should have something like that

Camy

Soccle exam

hey ppl, yeh i agree, i so wish this crappy exam was over, Is our school the only one doing work and leisure? For Pop. culture, our class is also doin what they want, im doing rave parties, but the rest is doing surfing.... For Change and continuity we are doing modern Japan, so whoever needs any notes, i got stacks... just e-mail me at camy_222@hotmail.com... yeh the excel book is okay but not great... G'luck everyone!!!

slow_graffiti

HSC
N/A
hey this is definitely something i should already know, but this is the most stupid course i've ever done and studying for it is so boring...

so i know all the case studies and all...but how do you define social and cultural literacy? i never seem to be able to get full marks on that question

and what other concepts could they ask us bout in the first section? not integrated into our essays but just in the short answer part...?

thanks..

Camy

hey, i kinda agree that society is a load of wank, but its aight..
social and cultural literacy is when you "come accross values, customs, beliefs and behaviors that may differ markedly from your own, but you should now possess the skills to simply recognisse and accept the difference without making value judgements."
Thats from the glossary, hope it helped..

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
social and cultural literacy is acchieved when a student can synathasise personal experience and public knowladge of the micro and macro world. Theres also a diagram in the syllabus which states all the stuff you are meant to be able to do, like empahise, take and interest in the world and stuff. Heres a link straight to it. http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/societycult_syl.pdf

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)