integration for projectile motion? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey, i just wanted to ask : can we use actual 3 unit projectile motion integration procedures to solve projectile motion questions in physics? cause i've tried it for a couple of questions and the answers work out.. are we allowed in the hsc?

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Hey, i just wanted to ask : can we use actual 3 unit projectile motion integration procedures to solve projectile motion questions in physics? cause i've tried it for a couple of questions and the answers work out.. are we allowed in the hsc?
Hey there,

I don't think you can. In the syllabus it specifies that students solve problems and analyse information to calculate the actual velocity of a projectile from its horizontal and vertical components using the projectile motion formulas.

Sometimes if I'm really unsure, I use 3u integration to double check.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
My teacher says you can. But using the equations is easier as you don't have to derive the equations since they are already given.

darkchild69

Nanotechnologist
HSC
It's better not too. The marking criteria in the HSC is very explicit. If you use integration you may not tick all of the boxes, even though it is more correct

unwanted80

HSC
N/A
Our teacher said we can use it.. and i do use it because i absolutely have no idea where what formula applies.. :rofl2:

helper

HSC
N/A
As a past marker, in physics they don't care what method you use as long as it is correct physics.

Show correct formula
Show correct subst
Show answer with units and you will have ticked off all criteria.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
If you have spare time, you should just go back to the projectile questions, use integration to find all equations of motion.
Then at the end, add a little note: "Just 'cause I can"

I don't see how it would be practical in any way though D:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)